Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru to Nissan Differentials

Originally posted by calebz

If you see a soob LSD on Ebay selling for 4 times more than its worth, its because the datsun guys are bidding on it.

if they're selling, that IS what they're worth.

i have a datsun 510 friend and he sais that their diffs are the exact same,the diff itself bolts right up. but i think they have to change the axel stubs or something. so we would need to do the same to use theirs?

Given that 510s had open diffs I can't imagine why we'd want to use a datsun diff. Subaru Brat is apparently going with R180 diffs for his beast. That diff has bigger stub axles and I belive you can either use Nissan axles or Subaru STI axles with it. If you were to use unmodified STI axles it would require STI or SVX wheelbearings to accomodate the big outboard stub axle. I think Subaru Brat was going to splice the inboard STI axle onto beefed up EA81 outboard axle stubs.

The R200a diff weighs 26lbs more than our R160 but it's supposedly bombproof up to 300+hp and 31" wheels with lockers. It looks basically like our R160 but it's bigger and burlier. The shorter body R200 can supposedly use the same clutch type LSD or ARB air locker as the R200a but might weigh a few pounds less due to the shorter body. Both of the R200 diffs would require custom mounting. Various ratios are available but I think Pathfinders had the lowest.

Originally posted by the sucker king

if they're selling, that IS what they're worth.

i have a datsun 510 friend and he sais that their diffs are the exact same,the diff itself bolts right up. but i think they have to change the axel stubs or something. so we would need to do the same to use theirs?

Yup. Their diffy has flange outputs, while ours uses stubs... so they change 'em over to flanges to use our LSDs. But really no point in going the other way, since we're the ones with the desirable LSD anyway.

There's an page describing the swap, ill see if i can find it.

Here's a pic of a R200 from a 240z. They're used in a number of other Nissans and Infinity. Big heavy suckers yes, but they're stout. There's lots of info on the net, try searching for "R180" "R200a Nissan" and "R200 Nissan".

Originally posted by Mike W

Given that 510s had open diffs I can't imagine why we'd want to use a datsun diff. Subaru Brat is apparently going with R180 diffs for his beast. That diff has bigger stub axles and I belive you can either use Nissan axles or Subaru STI axles with it. If you were to use unmodified STI axles it would require STI or SVX wheelbearings to accomodate the big outboard stub axle. I think Subaru Brat was going to splice the inboard STI axle onto beefed up EA81 outboard axle stubs.

The R200a diff weighs 26lbs more than our R160 but it's supposedly bombproof up to 300+hp and 31" wheels with lockers. It looks basically like our R160 but it's bigger and burlier. The shorter body R200 can supposedly use the same clutch type LSD or ARB air locker as the R200a but might weigh a few pounds less due to the shorter body. Both of the R200 diffs would require custom mounting. Various ratios are available but I think Pathfinders had the lowest.

you throw out too many #s there. i don't know what cars had these diffs you're talking about there. my point is that the diffs from datsun 510s are the same exact diffs as old subes minus stubs and maybe gears. or are they not?

aren't the cases the same and everything? only weight differences being that of different stub and gears?

Yeah SK as far as I know, Datsun 510 diffs are the same unit we have on our old Subes. I'm not sure just offhand what ratio they came with. Sorry for spewing out all the irrelevant info, I thought was what Bigjim was asking about.