Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

86 XT Gl-10 with no power @ fuel pump?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,390 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

A thought just occured to me after reading your post. If I remember correctly the Ignition Relay may have dual contacts. Some I know for sure do anyways. One set of contacts for power to the ECU and the other set for the fuel pump relay circuit. I don't have access to my service data to verify what yours has but if the Ignition Relay has at least 6 wires running to it then it has dual contacts. If this is the case make sure that the second set of contacts are making good connection also when the relay is turned on.

#27 Rossi86

Rossi86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Malvern

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

I have gotten the codes out of the ECM and it pulled a code 14 that in a XT GL10 turbo is the Air flow meter. In the TBI, and the N/A MPFI it's a fuel injection problem. I conformed that the AFS is bad using a voltage test, and a resistance test. Thank you all for your help, I am not out in the clear yet as well as it may be a week until I get it the Air flow meter in the mail. This may be only part of the problem. The Ignition still needs work, though that might be for a new thread.

#28 Rossi86

Rossi86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Malvern

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Oh the height control works, but not the control part...

#29 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,390 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

If the fuel pump still isn't getting power I suggest you check the Ignition Relay and see if there is two sets of contacts inside it, as I mentioned in my last post. If there is a second set of contacts I believe it ties to the fuel pump relay circuit. Tapping on the relay may allow the contacts to work for a bit if that is the trouble.

#30 Rossi86

Rossi86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Malvern

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

You are right I changed the Air Flow meter for a painful 220, only to get a code 13 witch is the crank angle sencer or some ignition switch problem. My book has gone missing.

Edited by Rossi86, 14 May 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#31 superbrat84

superbrat84

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Kaysville

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

check all electrical connections most of you're electrical problems are corrosion in the connectors. subarus are famous for this i'm always finding corroded connectors on mine

#32 Rossi86

Rossi86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Malvern

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

All 7 grounds test out ok, The fuel pump wiring is fine, I'm replacing the ECU. Found one for 35 bucks.

#33 Rossi86

Rossi86

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Malvern

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

It runs nicely with a new ECU. Any one repair ECU's? I would like to fix the first one and put it back in.:)

#34 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,390 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:16 AM

I have repaired some but if you can find another good used one for even 50 dollars you would be ahead just spending the money on it as a spare. The money spent on shipping, repair time, and replacement parts to fix yours will be more than 50 dollars.

#35 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,505 posts
  • WV

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

It runs nicely with a new ECU. Any one repair ECU's? I would like to fix the first one and put it back in.:)

i've seen folks located the bad resistor and repair an EA82 ECU. i tried to do the same part that was bad on another persons that fixed theirs was not bad on mine and nothing looked noticeably bad so i didn't get anywhere besides opening it up.

you can pull it apart and test all the transistors, resistors, etc on the board one by one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users