Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Wheeler for the summer CJ5

got a new Vehicle its a old CJ5 with a f head 4 banger 1961 needs a little work been sitting a while, need to find a Locker for the rear, I got some 32" mud tires I may put on there, I really dont know much about it, want to make a mild wheeler to hit walker valley with ,

Got it for $1000, the guy I got it froms 80 he said he got it when he was 60 and totaly went threw it and fixed it up, a year or so ago it didint have spark so he dug iinto it and then it sat, so hopefully its a simple fix, the brakes didnt work when towed home,Im excited its th Jeep I really wanted , price was right and location couldnt have been better, I offered him $1500 without looking at it and than as we looked at it he said I could take it for $1000, anyone know the limited of this baby engine? Im hoping it will handle the 32s I want to mount up and still have power to climb, plans are tires, winch, top,rear bumper, rear locker and go wheelin

5644191111_c952790a9b_z.jpg

5646552276_e0cb0a4040.jpg

5645991771_cda45823f7_z.jpg

5646557450_51ab628548_z.jpg

5646560390_a01f75737a_z.jpg

All i know is those axles are junk and usually the first thing to go. But with a 4 banger and 32's you wont have a whole lot to worry about.

Do a spring over conversion to get more lift. Or leave it as is for low center of gravity. $1000 cant be beat. If you were to get it running and fix the brakes, you could triple your money without a doubt.

Great find!

I don't know much about it. but I do know that one of the guys in our club had one for years, almost exactly like that. He regeard, locked the rear, did a SOA, and put some 33" swampers, and wheeled it quite a bit. I got to drive it a bit once on the trail, seemed to do very well.

To be honest id just fix it up and drive it. Far to many vintage jeeps get beat up on the trails. That one looks nice with the original tub. Id just put on some 235s or 31s fix whats wrong and drive it. I always love driveing an open top jeep.

+1. Sweet Jeep. :slobber:

Finish that justy. No one will miss it. :)