Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belts 87 GL10

I'm in the middle of replacing the timing belts on my 87 GL-10 wagon and I've run into a problem. I can't get the driver side belt on.

I might be able to do it, if i take the tensioner pulley off and re-install it after the belt is in place. If I do that, i'll never be able to get the tensioner spring back on.

I'd appreciate any hints from those who've done this job before.

Thanks,

Alan

I agree. Check that the tensioner is all the way out of the way. Verify the routing. The first one i did I had the routing wrong. Once the routing is right it will fit without removing components. I will see if I have any pics showing the routing.

i agree with the others about the tensioner. I routed mine a week ago from the crank sprocket-around the oil pump sprocket-idler sproket-then the cam sprocket and it worked out pretty easy. before you retension it, use your hand as the tensioner and push on the belt to ensure the timing mark stays aligned on the cam sprocket. on mine, I had to set it off a tooth because when I tensioned it, it pulled the cam sprocket over a bit.

It sounds like the tensioner is not all the way up. The correct routing and steps are to attach the belt to the crank sprocket, the oil pump spocket, the belt idler, then the cam sprocket. Make sure you have tension on the bottom of the belt, then loosen the tensioner. It takes a special tool to tighten the belt by the cam sprocket, but the belt tension is supposed to be between 24-46lbs. I've only done 2 belt installs, and tighten them by pushing down on the tensioner. I havent had any belt slap yet, even at high R's.

Subi81, nice pics. But does it run?:D