Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replace front tone ring 99 OBW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

What's the easiest way to replace a front tone ring on a 99 obw?
How do I get the hub out so I can just bolt a new tone ring to it?

I broke it doing a brake job :mad: Rotor was stuck, so I gave it a whack with a hammer and the rotor was so bad the rotor part actually broke off the part with the stud holes :mad::mad::mad:

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,080 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

oh wow that sucks. are you positive it's the tone ring that's busted?
cracked the rotor, duDe, relax (sounds like something i'd do)!

easiest way - weld it back in place if it's not too damaged? don't let the weld bead disturb the teeth profile. it just needs to see the pulses of the teeth, it's not that complicated of an apparatus or structural (unless you wail on it!)...it just spins fast! :lol:

#3 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Did you break the the hub flange? The hub is pressed into the knuckle, and the studs are pressed into the hub flange. I feel like if you weld it, the outer hub seal would be toast.

Unless the axle assembly on the '99 OBW is different from that on my '99 Forester, the tone ring is actually on the outer half shaft joint.

On the rear, the tone ring is bolted to the inside surface of the hub flange.

In any case, it's a good idea to lather some anti-seize on the mating surfaces between the rotor and the hub flange to avoid such disasters.

#4 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

I put anti-sieze in there, etc. I know how to do a brake job right. I wasn't the last person to do it.

I didn't break the hub or anything. The rotor broke is half. There's the rotor part, and the part that goes over the hub. They separated.

The tone ring is beyond any repair.

The tone ring is bolted on the back of the hub, it has to come off to replace it. Just wondering the best way to do it.

#5 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Ok, so the tone ring is not on the half shaft.

It's going to be the equivalent of a wheel bearing job so you'll need to replace at least the inner and outer hub seals while you're at it, maybe the bearing too while you're at it. It's definitely easier if you have access to a Hub Tamer set.

Here's a thread with a relevant link:

http://www.ultimates...t wheel bearing

#6 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • columbus

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

The easiest/cheapest thing to do is replace the whole spindle. Axle nut, two strut bolts, tie rod end, abs sensor wire, ball joint and brakes. Remove and reinstall....done. No pressing out bearing which never survives the operation.

#7 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Unplug the abs module under the hood and take the abs bulb out of the dash cluster. The abs sucks on these cars anyway.

Or buy a used hub/spindle assembly if you really want to fix it.

#8 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

If it was my car I wouldn't give a rat's rump roast. But it's my sister's car, so it needs to be fixed.
It needs a new strut on that side anyway, and the tie rod end is starting to have play (I told her I wouldn't pit a sticker on it. haha)
So the knuckle has to pretty much come off anyway.... I guess I'll just eat the cost and get another one. I can always throw that on my car someday if I need.

#9 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,402 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

i have no idea if this will work. but someone suggested cutting a good tone ring in 2 places and removing it from the hub. then bolting it on to your existing hub. if it lines up right it may work. way less work than removing the hub and replacing the bearing.

the only complication is that once installed part of it would be held on by only 2 bolts, the other side would have 3.

maybe?

#10 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,601 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

i have no idea if this will work. but someone suggested cutting a good tone ring in 2 places and removing it from the hub. then bolting it on to your existing hub. if it lines up right it may work. way less work than removing the hub and replacing the bearing.

the only complication is that once installed part of it would be held on by only 2 bolts, the other side would have 3.

maybe?

that, is a really good Idea I hadn't thought of!!

I think I could even keep all four bolts. It doesn't have to be cut exactly in half. I think I'm going to give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users