Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the easiest way to replace a front tone ring on a 99 obw?

How do I get the hub out so I can just bolt a new tone ring to it?

I broke it doing a brake job :mad: Rotor was stuck, so I gave it a whack with a hammer and the rotor was so bad the rotor part actually broke off the part with the stud holes :mad::mad::mad:

oh wow that sucks. are you positive it's the tone ring that's busted?

cracked the rotor, duDe, relax (sounds like something i'd do)!

easiest way - weld it back in place if it's not too damaged? don't let the weld bead disturb the teeth profile. it just needs to see the pulses of the teeth, it's not that complicated of an apparatus or structural (unless you wail on it!)...it just spins fast! :lol:

Did you break the the hub flange? The hub is pressed into the knuckle, and the studs are pressed into the hub flange. I feel like if you weld it, the outer hub seal would be toast.

Unless the axle assembly on the '99 OBW is different from that on my '99 Forester, the tone ring is actually on the outer half shaft joint.

On the rear, the tone ring is bolted to the inside surface of the hub flange.

In any case, it's a good idea to lather some anti-seize on the mating surfaces between the rotor and the hub flange to avoid such disasters.

I put anti-sieze in there, etc. I know how to do a brake job right. I wasn't the last person to do it.

I didn't break the hub or anything. The rotor broke is half. There's the rotor part, and the part that goes over the hub. They separated.

The tone ring is beyond any repair.

The tone ring is bolted on the back of the hub, it has to come off to replace it. Just wondering the best way to do it.

Ok, so the tone ring is not on the half shaft.

It's going to be the equivalent of a wheel bearing job so you'll need to replace at least the inner and outer hub seals while you're at it, maybe the bearing too while you're at it. It's definitely easier if you have access to a Hub Tamer set.

Here's a thread with a relevant link:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30296&highlight=front+wheel+bearing

The easiest/cheapest thing to do is replace the whole spindle. Axle nut, two strut bolts, tie rod end, abs sensor wire, ball joint and brakes. Remove and reinstall....done. No pressing out bearing which never survives the operation.

If it was my car I wouldn't give a rat's rump roast. But it's my sister's car, so it needs to be fixed.

It needs a new strut on that side anyway, and the tie rod end is starting to have play (I told her I wouldn't pit a sticker on it. haha)

So the knuckle has to pretty much come off anyway.... I guess I'll just eat the cost and get another one. I can always throw that on my car someday if I need.

i have no idea if this will work. but someone suggested cutting a good tone ring in 2 places and removing it from the hub. then bolting it on to your existing hub. if it lines up right it may work. way less work than removing the hub and replacing the bearing.

the only complication is that once installed part of it would be held on by only 2 bolts, the other side would have 3.

maybe?

i have no idea if this will work. but someone suggested cutting a good tone ring in 2 places and removing it from the hub. then bolting it on to your existing hub. if it lines up right it may work. way less work than removing the hub and replacing the bearing.

the only complication is that once installed part of it would be held on by only 2 bolts, the other side would have 3.

maybe?

that, is a really good Idea I hadn't thought of!!

I think I could even keep all four bolts. It doesn't have to be cut exactly in half. I think I'm going to give that a try.

• 4 years later...

that, is a really good Idea I hadn't thought of!!

I think I could even keep all four bolts. It doesn't have to be cut exactly in half. I think I'm going to give that a try.

I am terribly sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, especially as a new user! Has anyone tried/done with with any success? I broke my tone ring doing a standard brake job, ridiculous I know, and am trying to fix it without having to spend hundreds by having to pull the hub. 

Also, if I run without the tone ring, will it affect the AWD system? 

just cut another tone ring and reinstall it.  not a big deal. 

it only affects the ABS, not the AWD.  if the tone ring is not installed the car just works like any other car without ABS, no big deal it'll run and drive fine.  it affects nothing else on this vehicle. 

Edited by grossgary

just cut another tone ring and reinstall it.  not a big deal. 

it only affects the ABS, not the AWD.  if the tone ring is not installed the car just works like any other car without ABS, no big deal it'll run and drive fine.  it affects nothing else on this vehicle. 

Thank you for confirming this! I have found a couple threads on NAISOC that confirm it as well. Such a weight off my shoulders knowing I don't have to pull the hub. Thanks again!

well, separating the hub from the housing kills the bearing.

so unless you ''piece together'' a tone ring on your existing hub assembly,

you are going to be spending money.

if the ''piece together fix does not work,

i would buy a used assembly and install it.

run it until it fails, could be a long time.

but save the old one and prep it for reinstall,

when the new ''used'' unit starts to fail.

for $35 you can have one mailed to your door.

www.car-part.com

probably cheaper than a ''new'' tone ring.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 2 weeks later...

This is a family members car, so I do want abs functioning properly. If it were my own car I wouldn't worry about it.

John, you do make a lot of sense. Because this is a family member's car, I want to minimize down time. If it were my own car I would do as you described. I just don't want to deal with installing the assembly again in a year if it goes bad. Especially if the cutting in half trick works.

I found a tone ring used. The seller says there is a very small gouge in one of the teeth. I have a picture below. Will this be an issue?

kuxi5tp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...