Ultimate Subaru Message Board

er27 brat

h4life

ok guys im back. i finally got thet brat out of storage after 2 years and now time to go to work. my brat as i it stands has a 4inch lift on it. all else is stock. i was going to put the ej swap in it but i was at the junk yard the other day and found an xt6. the new goal is to put in the er27.

goals.

er27 engine

turbo rx 5spd dr

xt6 breaks, axles, and 5 lug hubs

xt6 engine cradle with power steering.?

harness merged by???

Any help and no how would be huge.

i think im going this weekend to rip that xt6 apart.

i read all i could on subarubrat.com but there is not a lot of info on the swap. just a few pics.

thanks, nick

Agreed, having both engines here side by side in the garage the EJ swap also gets my vote:grin: One of the biggest problems with the ER27 swap is that there isn't any room for a radiator.

The EJ is also a generation better in technology. The ER and it's wiring, fuel and ignition systems are based on the EA82 if I remember correctly.

I agree newer and better after market support. But the idea of an h6 is just hard to pass up. The cool factor is up there and worth some extra work. To my knowledge it is ea82 generation. Which should help in saving me some money for the tranny adapter. Not much but just one less thing. I'm not sure what to do about the radiator yet.

You can cut into the radiator core support, and box it in with some angle to move the rad about 2 inches forward. You can get by with the original radiator if you sleeve the fittings with the smaller hose, and clamp the larger hose over it.

I contemplated in my ea82 3door. I opted for an ej22, mainly because it was there with a harness all done. I would have gone er27 if i had not found an ej22.

i am curious to fit the engine into the car, just to see what it looks like, as i am using the xt6 trans and 5 lugs.

in the brat with the ea81 body, you may have to re-clock the disty and cut off an ear to clear the master cylinder, and dislocate and move the hill holder to clear the er27 motor, as this is true for an ea81 motor. But this may not apply to you with a 4 inch lift:lol:

There are folks that have done an er27 brat before, so if you have the parts, it can be done.

cool thanks for the info. i have been talking to scott from subarubrat.com and he is helping with some good info aswell. does anyone know how that funky power steering works? it says that it is speed adaptive. i am just wondering how it knows the speed and if it will even work with the harness merge. if not i wonder if i could just swap the pump and pullys over from a normal ea82.

i'm a mod of subaruxt.com and have owned a couple dozen of these things since 1993 and have 3 right now.

EJ's are cheaper, easier to get parts for and more reliable, same power, (lighter?). the XT6 timing pulleys are annoying there's no new sources for them (not counting cheap ebay kits that are $399 or Subaru$$$$$). EJ timing belt kits are $80.

the XT6 isn't bad and is a very reliable engine with a few quirks addressed, but i'm just giving some feedback. you can join us at subaruxt.com for ER27 specifics and the complete XT6 Subaru factory service manual to download for free.

having done an XT6 power steering conversion into an EA82 - i woudln't recommend it. there's no easy way to integrate the controllers. i installed the pump and rack, but none of the controllers.

you could just install the power steering pump and lines to the rack or even install the XT6 rack - a slightly quicker ratio i believe. that's in an EA82 - i'm not sure about EA82 to EA81 interchangeability though. but the XT6 fittings are all the same as EA82 so that's easy for the pump install.

electrically there's a power controller, computer, and a steering column sensor in addition to the speed signal input, and a Technical Service bulletin for performing a steering update which means installing a separate harness/wire. it's a blue wire connected the pump/controller, if it has that the update/recall/TSB has been done. not a big deal and nearly all should have it, but more nonetheless.

so if you wanted to install the entire thing, in addition to the wiring wrestling match, you need to install the steering column sensor on yours or swap in an XT6 column. the system doesn't power up if it's not seeing steering input for 10 seconds (i think that's how long) so if that sensor isn't there, mimicked, or not working, the power steering won't operate because it thinks the steering wheel isn't moving.

second thing is to rig up the speed input. the speed input wouldn't be a big deal since EA/ER speed/RPM monitoring is all done the same way so you'll have "input" easy enough physically speaking. still gotta do a mess of wiring.

anyway - in my opinion, having looked into it, it would be a mess to rig that up.

i'd give it some level of reasonable constant power assist and leave it at that. it's just an electric motor with $15 brushes that need replaced, no big deal.

Edited by grossgary