Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New thoughts on 4wd to AWD conversion

Thinking about the Justy here... I really want to make it AWD, instead of the 4wd it has now. I don't like the binding, oversteer, unusable e-brake... Originally I thought I would need to find some sort of limited slip coupling I could put between my transmission and rear driveshaft. Now I was thinking, do I even need to break that solid lock between the front and back wheels? Right now it is open front, locked center, and open rear.

What if I made the rear limited slip? I am guessing I would still have the oversteer, but would the binding go away? Basically, with the limited slip rear diff, are both wheels allowed to be stopped while the driveshaft rotates? Can anybody think of the drawbacks to that as opposed to the true AWD, an open front, limited slip center, and open or limited slip rear?

As Mick said, your binding is front-to-back, so you will need a device that allows front-to-back speed variation. Any type of rear differential is only going to affect side-to-side speed variation in the rear.

A viscous coupling sounds like a good plan, and probably alot of work. It could be positioned anywhere between the tranny and the rear diff, so you could choose whatever location seems best.