Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well...here goes 97 legacy wagon

just bought a gas mpg car to replace an old tired van.

97 subaru legacy wagon awd, 297k miles, quite clean inside, auto trans, looks like it hit a deer, crinkled sheetmetal, broken headlight (replacment en-route) recently replaced windshield(deer). runs awesome.

had to replace some exhaust gaskets, and fix a leaky fuel filler neck, some quick and dirty bondo till i spring for some sheetmetal.

honestly everything else in my price range had the same miles plus needed 1000 worth of work, and I have been into vw busses and vanagons for a long time, rebuilt engines and transmissions, body work and painting transfer cases on jeepps and mud trucks... so i figured what the heck.

I have had it less than a week and have a trans code, I searched and found the testing procedures and narrowed down the problem, and have a question but i am denied posting topic replies in the proper section. rather than face the wrath i'd like to know how long till i can ask a legitimate direct unanswed by the searches question?

You should be able to post in any forum. Try again. If you get the "database" message, that's a current issue with the server or software, not any kind of denial.

good job cranking out the work on it already.

trans code - duty C solenoid or??

Duty C solenoid is accessible through the rear extension housing without dropping the trans.

the other duty solenoids are accessible through the trans pan. someone posted some details on that recently, within the past few months/year?

You should be able to post in any forum. Try again. If you get the "database" message, that's a current issue with the server or software, not any kind of denial.

good job cranking out the work on it already.

trans code - duty C solenoid or??

Duty C solenoid is accessible through the rear extension housing without dropping the trans.

the other duty solenoids are accessible through the trans pan. someone posted some details on that recently, within the past few months/year?

I am waiting a week on the headlight assy, and i live in a small town of about 1500, no headlight will get the alices resturant treatment. figured i might as well chuck some bondo in there and get it a little more appealing. the fender and hood are beyond saving. If the ride proves worth at the end of summer i'll roadtrip to the nearest junkyard with both picke them up and throw a paintjob on there (also a bit of a hobby of mine)

as for the trans.

oh yeah, i read a nice post with good pictures, looks like a piece of cake. This board has been very useful. I also went out on a limb and sent a message to nipper because it would appear to me that he's the guru of the transmissions.

I haven't driven it yet, other than the 100 miles home. I am half wondering if this is due to me backing it up on ramps to fix the filler neck and exhaust gaskets. could be possible the solenoid drained and i need to throw some pressure at it to straighten her out, just a theory, this is my first automatic in a decade.....

I have rebuilt the engine and transmission in my 76 vw, and seems like i was rebuilding jeep transfer cases back in the day for myself and others about every other weekend. this is not my first forum, so i have been searching here for a few weeks learning. unfortunately i need to drive this vehicle for a few weeks till i can get it fixed or drive my other vehicle which gets a lot less mileage. (4.25 per gallon here) driving the other vehicle for a few weeks would make it a couple months before I could spring the bread to fix the subie.

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru!. Nice to see someone from lansing/michigan, as there are few and far between folks in that area. I am native to NE indiana, and my mother lives in coldwater, MI, so that brings me out your way.

Anyway, you found the right place. You should enjoy your subaru in the ame way as the old VW hardware, and the culture, enthusiasm, and folks that go with.