Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 spfi trouble

Ok so replaced the passenger side valve cover today which was a simple task. But now the car wont rev up. It will idle but that is it. Im almost positive i got all the vacume hoses hooked up correctly. I dont have the airbox hooked up like it was but that shouldnt matter should it. Any other thing i might of missed or need to check.

Thanks in advance

Ben

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried cleaning the MAF. It seemed to work good at 1st but then back to the same old. I did remove some vacume lines but i put them back. I dont notice any of them cracked. Right now im letting it run to see if that has any effect. It idles just fine but step on the gas and it flogs out until it dies.

Ok so how important is it to hear the fuel pump when you turn on the key. I always remember hearing it when i turned the accessories on but now i cant hear it. Is it possible for it to be going in and out. It can supply enough fuel to start the vehicle and sometimes rev it but for regular driveing it cuts out or sometimes hardly works at all. I only hear the fuel pump just as its starting and while its running.

Tripple checked everything out. I did find some vac leaks and those did change the idle but im still having the same problem. Im almost thinking fuel pressure regulator finally took a dump or fuel pump. When cold i always had problems just hittin the gas. Sometimes it would just not respond other times it would be fine. Im thinking pump because i cant hear it prime the system like it should when you first hit the key. When the car is running, its running but i wonder if its not keeping up with pressure. Any ideas. Its pretty redundant at this point since im only talking to myself on here.

Most EA82s you will hear the Fuel pump all the time, its basic. And seeing as thise issue has started after you took the valve cover off I would suspect something else, if it were a vaccum leak, it would be noticeable at idle aswell but it could be a vac leak.

I can't come up with anything. MilesFox will pop in I'm sure.

It idles perfect, i cleaned the maf thinking i got some gook in it. I Checked the vac hoses and cleaned them. Replaced 1 vac hose due to a couple holes. Cleaned up some greened electrical connections which made it idle better. Im telling you it idles like a champ but when you hit the gas it starts to build up in the rpms then just stumbles and if you keep hittin the gas it will die.

So you are not hearing the pump kick in when you turn the key on? That might be a hint.

Correct, when i turn the key to accessories the pump does not kick on. You usually hear it hum for a second then it shuts off since the system is primed. Once i turn it on i can hear it. I even went to the back while it was running and i can feel it working. But i didnt know fuel pumps could partially fail. Just give it enough fuel to idle and nothing else.

Correct, when i turn the key to accessories the pump does not kick on. You usually hear it hum for a second then it shuts off since the system is primed. Once i turn it on i can hear it. I even went to the back while it was running and i can feel it working. But i didnt know fuel pumps could partially fail. Just give it enough fuel to idle and nothing else.

Well, you can check the Fuel Pressure with a tester to make sure that is the issue. If I remember right, the EA82 should be pushing out 43psi.

I dont think i did, It did work sparingly i could drive it a bit after feathering the peddle a while but it was posessed. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt but last night onto today it doesnt work at all. Every time i hit the peddle it feathers out and dies no exceptions now.

Where is the fuel pressure regulator, i can check it out.

test your fuel pressure at the retrun line. The regulator is after the injector. Suppose you disconnected vacuum to the FPR?

On a side note, right now i dont have money to buy parts let alone tools to test for bad parts so i need to figure something else out.

make sure you didnt unplug the MAF. (tryng to think of what can happen when doing a valve cover...) Did you cross plug wires?

Maybe there is just an odd coincidence throwing you off. Maybe consider double check ing the timing belt alignment.

Also consider a bad intake gaslet. As when i got my 3door, rebuilt the car, got it to run, it would only run long enough to get in and put in gear, ad stall out. I rebuilt the carb 3 times. Replacing the intake gaskets cured it.

Just trying to give you ideas to consider, based on my experiences

I didnt remove the plug wires when i did it. I took the air box off and moved it out of the way. I also took the vacume lines off and moved the MAF cord. Now i might of streched the MAF cord a bit but it wouldnt even idle if the maf cord was fouled up would it. It has always stumbled abit before it was warmed up. Could this be a fuel pump fuel pressure regulator type of symptom.

maybe one of the elements in the MAF failed. You can undo the 2 screws and pull it out of the housing to inspect it. There will be 2 filaments spaced apart. usually the one on the bottom will fall out.

you may need to grab another known good MAF connector... and splice it in. I don't believe the MAF is used for the idle circuit.... when "stretching the wires" you vould have broken the wire internally, or pulled something loose inside....

Ok update. I finally got the maf out of the houseing and laid it on its side. Started the car and it ran as it has been doing. So just to be sure i spray alittle maf cleaner on it just to double make it clean go to start the car and now it wont start at all. Hooked it back up in the houseing and it still wont start. Im going to wait a bit to make sure its dry and the car isnt flooded at that point. You local guys got some spare tires incase i send this thing to the crusher.

you may need to grab another known good MAF connector... and splice it in. I don't believe the MAF is used for the idle circuit.... when "stretching the wires" you vould have broken the wire internally, or pulled something loose inside....

I didnt strech the wires out bad though, I wish this thing had a computer to help me know whats going on.