Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual port or single port heads

The 2.2 engine I am having installed in my 97 lego wagon is supposed to be from a 98 Impreza. However it has dual port heads and the power steering pump outlet is different.

Is this an older engine or did the 98 2.2 have dual port heads?

I'm supposed to be paying for a 98 low mileage engine.

The 2.2 engine I am having installed in my 97 lego wagon is supposed to be from a 98 Impreza. However it has dual port heads and the power steering pump outlet is different.

i would assume it's a replacement engine. i've never seen or heard of anything past 97 (96 actually) EJ22's having dual port heads.

if you suspect it's been replaced - then definitely make sure it's not an EJ18 block. the EJ18 block interchanges directly with the EJ22 AND they all have dual port heads. i did that exact swap into my daily driver legacy - an EJ18 long block.

:lol::lol: unless i'm missing something the dual port 2.2 is the 95 version that you've bought like 100 of dave!!! :lol::lol:

Oops - yea. But I believe it's the only year of a dual port 2.2 isnt' it? That's what makes it the magical year. Along with still being non-interference.

Can't believe I forgot that! Yea - I've probably installed close to 50 2.2 swaps now. Just none in the last year and a half.

It's amazing how poor my memory is sometimes!

Oops - yea. But I believe it's the only year of a dual port 2.2 isnt' it?
it's the latest year, and the only year that has (some, not all) dual ports AND egr. earlier doesn't have EGR, later doesn't have dual ports.

subaru's opposed forces site is showing dual ports for earlier years too:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_7/exhaust_system/exhaust/

i've seen tons of mixed info on the 90-94 EJ22's, some say single, some say dual, i've always been confused myself about why it's such a mixed bag of info. i just did a quick google search and it was confusing. they're so rusted by now it doesn't much matter around here, i never see them. :lol:

Is there any way to identify the year make of the engine by the numbers stamped on it?

I assume and EJ 18 would say EJ18 on it.

Oh yeah, this one has the old style tensioner. I thought 98's had the new style tensioner.

Should have the latter half at least of a VIN stamped on it somewhere. Lower bell housing I think, passenger side? (not 100% so don't quote me).

Engine size stamp is on the top of the block behind the alternator. Pretty easy to see.

Old style tensioner could have been swapped. Betting the whole engine was swapped after the timing belt went and bent all the valves.

Should have the latter half at least of a VIN stamped on it somewhere. Lower bell housing I think, passenger side?

+1, there is a flat rectangle on the passenger side of the bell housing where it meets the trans. the 10th letter/ number in the vin indicates the year.

L 1990,

M 1991,

N 1992,

P 1993,

R 1994,

S 1995,

T 1996,

V 1997,

W 1998,

X 1999,

Y 2000,

1 2001,

2 2002,

3 2003,

4 2004,

5 2005,

6 2006,

7 2007,

8 2008...

Edited by johnceggleston

I assume and EJ 18 would say EJ18 on it.

Oh yeah, this one has the old style tensioner. I thought 98's had the new style tensioner.

yes, block has the engine stamped on it. and a 98 should have the newer style tensioner, i would only expect to see the old style tensioners on 96 and earlier EJ22's....*maybe* 97's, but even most of those i've seen are new style.

sounds fairly convincing so far that it's an older EJ22 block or EJ18.

the older EJ22's are actually awesome motors though - they are non interference engines.

the major concern i'd have is that being a replacement engine you have no clue what mileage is on it. which isn't a big deal so long as you're not paying top dollar for it.

Just swap PS pumps, use your original one to the car. I don't even disconnect the pump when I pull engines. It has rubber hose, so just swing it to the side.

Depending what came out of your car, you might have to swap the brackets off your old engine to the new.

i think he said the heads have dual ports, this makes it a 90 - 95 ej 22 or a ej18. but no way is this a 98 ej22.

is this engine going in or coming out?

if going in and your car has an auto trans, you need to make sure it has the needed EGR stuff. otherwise you will always have a CEL. (at least this is what happens when replacing ej25s with engines w/out egr. and in some states you can't pass annual inspection with a CEL.) you will also need the exhaust y-pipe to match the dual ports. call the yard and make a point, this engine is not what you paid for. mistakes can happen.

all of this does not mean it won't work and be a good engine. you just need to make sure it has the egr, if needed, and you definitely need the y-pipe. (they should GIVE you that and reduce the price on the engine, IMO)

Edited by johnceggleston

I also believe a 98 should have new style tensioner.

Purt simply the single/dual port think is easily overcome with a different Ypipe.

Overcoming no EGR - there is no good way that I'm aware of or have seen here. Lots of folks get screwed by yards/mechanics if they don't realize this should be a show stopper.

It does have an egr on it now. The engine came out of a 98 Impreza, so someone must have moved the egr over to it I guess.

I also noticed that the baffle plate is metal, not plastic.

I'm buying the engine from an individual who made a deal with me to install it as well. Thought I was buying a 98 with 130,000 miles on it.

We are going to have to work something out about the price however. He's a nice guy, and I believe he thought it was a 98 engine, as he bought the car from someone else to part out. It was running and driving when he bought it.

What is a fair price for a 95 motor with unknown mileage?

if i wanted to use a motor of unknown mileage i'd do a compression test and $200-$300 would be my range if i really wanted/needed it.

if you really need it and/or the engine seems really good or subaru engines are hard to find in your area - then pay more.

here's two 95 EJ22's in texas, one with 130,000 miles:

1-817-790-2992 $550

1-800-455-5705 $600

seems like it should come in a couple hundred less than those with unknown mileage and no warranty.

Edited by grossgary

I paid 200 bucks for a 91 ej22 with a spare egr head and obd2 intake.

A price of 300-4oo bucks would be fair to have the motor installed.(100 labor. 200 labor for seals and t belt)

you can use it if you get the right exhaust pipe for it

(100 labor. 200 labor for seals and t belt)

$100 labor for installing a motor, can i hire you out miles? i'll line up 5 cars for you to come here and install motors in for that price. i might even give you more!

most places/people are going to charge a lot more than $100 for an engine swap.

for the price of a carfax you MAY be able to find some info on the original car by the vin#. it will not tell you how many miles were put on it once it was swapped into the impreaza but it will be a starting point.

for the same price you could also run the vin of the car it was pulled from. that will probably tell you less but you never know and it will not cost any more.

if it drove fine and had no indications of ills, i would probably have it installed and drive it. if you drive for 1000 miles for every $100 you spend you will be cheaper than a new car. if you drive double that then you have done great.

the installer/ seller has the y-pipe you need. it was attached to the engine.

$100 labor for installing a motor, can i hire you out miles? i'll line up 5 cars for you to come here and install motors in for that price. i might even give you more!

most places/people are going to charge a lot more than $100 for an engine swap.

it takes about an hour to do. I once pulled a motor in late afternoon, did the seals, and had it together before dark. I could make 2-300 bucks a day for just 100 bucks each. I do timing belts for 200, come on and throw me some work. I'll pack up my tool box and hit the road

my general labor rate is $40/hr based on book time. Now only if i had the book to reference time! I could charge 60 or 80 and still be cheaper, because i know it's worth more, and worth even more to be competent in subarus specifically