Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Average price for EJ22 swap...

subi dude

All together, with everything required for a EA to EJ swap. If you dont mind me asking, what did most of you spend on everything you needed for an 2.2 swap?

Or maybe tell me what i'd be spending. i have a 88 GL wagon, wanting a EJ22.

thanks

Average cost will be based on how you shop.

A used engine is worth a good 200 bucks. But then you need to find a harness, this, that, the other.

Most economical route is to source a whole donor car for under 500. This way you have the engine, radiator, hoses, and all of the wiring aharness and everything else, plus bonus spare parts to sell or use on another car.

Adapter plate is about 100 bucks used, may come with flywheel. Otherwise you are into drilling the flywheel, cost of drill bit, etc..

a ull out harness is worth about 60-100 bucks. A chopped and ready harness is worth towards 300

I am swapping my car. I gave 500 for an ej22 engine with adapter, and full xt6 trans and driveline.(really, i sold the donor xt for 500 after getting it for 350, and bought it back after it was chopped down, and got the ej in the mix) I gave 300 for the car.

aside frm that deal, i had already picked up a whole subaru legacy with manual trans for 300 bucks, and another engine for 200 with spare head and intake, to use with a harness i already had.

If i was working with just the legacy and the spare motor, i would be 500 in, plus i would have to find an adapter for about 150(shipped), and maybe about 50 bucks in hoses and whatnot to install it all. Some will tell you that it will cost about 700 bucks to do, starting from nothing. But it can be free if you live on a stash of subaru parts. With my project, i think i am getting more costly in spray products and stainless hardware, than i am in the car itself or the parts i need.

the more you can do yourself, the cheaper it will be. Labor is free, if you have the time

Most economical route is to source a whole donor car for under 500.
+1 i've been offered EJ vehicles for free, picking up a running and driving 2003 Legacy GT next week for $500. getting an older subaru that's wrecked or blown trans for $500 or less isn't that hard around here. if you're not in a subaru rich area that might be harder and not a timely route to take. give craigslist, ebay, and other sources a solid month or so of looking and you'll find something reasonable if you want a good price.

completely depends on how much you do yourself, how much your parts cost, and how many new parts you're putting in with it.

It's very common to swap transmissions and stuff at the same time, so obviously that would add cost.

With the price of scrap and gas these days, it's becoming harder to find parts cars for cheap. The classifieds here in Duluth has about 8 ads offering to pay $100-150 for a complete scrap car, and they'll pick it up. I got 100 for a car with no suspension on it a couple weeks ago. And people are catching on to the awesome versatility of a subaru with relatively low cost (better gas mileage than an SUV, and very reliable).

But yea, parts car is the way to go, especially for your first time. I've done many swaps, and know the parts like the back of my hand, so piecing together a swap doesn't scare me anymore.

The point I'm making, is depending on what you have available, and how much you do yourself, this swap could cost anywhere from $0 to $3000ish.

When I do it, I figure:

$300-500 for the motor/harness/ecu

$200 for the adapter plate (SJRlift, 185+shipping)

$500ish for timing belt, crank and cam seals, water pump, plugs and wires (ebay pci timing belt kit, smallcar.com, and rockauto)

$200 for radiator (usaradiator.com all metal for a '91 loyale)

$185 for clutch (Beck/Arnley 619130, used this kit on 3 different cars. love it! from rockauto.com)

$30 in some nice waterproof electrical splices and a couple fuse holders

$50 in radiator/heater hoses (radiator hoses, off the shelf for a '96-'99 outback, with a chunk of the stock EA82 hose at the radiator end to adapt the different size. And then some generic heater hose)

$50 for a universal electric radiator fan

Which comes to about $1700. And that's assuming you don't have to buy any tools, you're doing the flywheel mod yourself (dremel high-speed cutting bit! worth the $10 or so), the wiring yourself, and the exhaust yourself.

The first time I did the swap, I got the motor for free, did zero maintenence on it, and re-used the clutch/radiator. So my only immediate cost was the adapter plate and some hoses/wires. but I always wished I had done a better job.