Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jessekrs123's 1984 Subaru BRAT

It's getting harder top find the right clutch sets for the Later 4spd cars.

83+ models have the same small input shaft, but a larger Disc and PP. 225mm as opposed to 200 on the old ones(7.25 vs. 8.25 in) This is why an EA82 clutch set will bolt right up to an 83+ EA81 Flywheel.

You will need to make sure you get an EA81 clutch set of the larger type. Just make sure it has the smaller hole in the center of the disc......the parts people are getting alot of stuff mixed up on the old ones now.

Yes, I ordered the 15008 for my '85 EA82 5-speed. Works/Fits great.

GLoyale... when you say 83+, do you mean 83 and older or 83 and newer?

I just picked up an 83 EA81 4mt Wagon. So what size disc, PP, teeth do I have? Or better yet, do you have the Exedy #? Thanks for the info. Ron W.

Got this bad boy running today! And by running, I mean running and actually moving.

Everything is all set, put the new clutch in, and now that I have had a chance to fix the exhaust this thing is quiet

I am not even used to it's quietness its ridiculous, I kind of miss the fact that you could hear it coming from miles. Oh well I'll figure something out.

Have to replace a lot of the bulbs such as the ones for the taillights and whatnot. Some of them have gone out, might as well do them all.

20121231_173358.jpg

Edited by Jessekrs123
pic

GLoyale... when you say 83+, do you mean 83 and older or 83 and newer?

I just picked up an 83 EA81 4mt Wagon. So what size disc, PP, teeth do I have?

Don't have a part #

82 and earlier 4spds use a 200mm plate and disc, with 7/8th in. input shaft. (21 spline)

But 83, and later EA81 4spds came with a 225 mm plate and disc....still with the 7/8th in. inputshaft (21 spline)

EA82 4wd 5spds use a 225 mm plate and disc, with a 1 in. input shaft (24 spline)

Sorry for hijack....just answering ?s

If you ever come to need a new exhaust and want to up the "oomph" factor, I did some major calculations (I think I even still have my notes) but going with 1 3/4" dual piping with a crossover gives you some extra torque and opens up the midrange.

Mine was ridiculously loud with just glasspacks, (no cat), but it sounded SWEET.

Just ask the WCSS 13 mudpit crowd ;)

I recommend putting some decent mufflers on to tone it down and keep the police off you, but keep it free flowing. You'd be amazed at how much extra power you can extract from that EA81.

Twitch

Thanks twitch, I'll definitely be looking into welding up a new exhaust once the weather warms up.

But right now I'm having some issues with the car. I've noticed sometimes it likes to buck quite violently in third gear at like half throttle, and sometimes at WOT. It will also buck violently when going up a long, somewhat steep hill. The Weber is new, distributor cap is new, and I have all new plugs and wires. All of the vacuum lines have been re-routed and plugged as well.

I have tuned the Weber as per the directions it was sent with.

Perhaps it is time for a new distributor? The only few things I can think of that would cause this issue would be a lack of air, fuel, or timing. It is definitely getting enough air, the fuel pump was replaced about 1,000 miles ago along with both filters.

Distributor is probably still factory, and I'm pretty sure I routed the correct vacuum advance into the disty. I've read around that if you set the timing a little more aggressively for the Weber, there is a little gain.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advanced.

Edited by Jessekrs123

New wires put on today.

Pulled the plugs, everything checks out rather good and it is still bucking. It bucks really really bad when going up hill, fuel issue perhaps? Water in the fuel? Checked both fuel filters for any debris floating around and got nothing.

Edited by Jessekrs123

On the drivers side of the engine you'll see a black plastic "flying saucer" looking thing. Take the hoses off and see it it's begun to disintegrate.

Check that metal housing thing with the metal tab valve inside. Has hard metal pipes and four philips screws hold the flapper in.

Just my thought from what I recall of my 1800 ohv days.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you physically checked for water in the tank? start after it has sat over night so the water and gas can separate.I just loosen the drain plug so it has a steady drip into a glass jar. If there is water in the tank it will come out first. If there is, just keep letting it drip till gas starts coming out...If there is too much water in the tank dry-gas can't do it all...I doubt its the dist,thats usually all or nothing...Keep trying,It will turn out to be something easy i bet.....todd

Have you physically checked for water in the tank? start after it has sat over night so the water and gas can separate.I just loosen the drain plug so it has a steady drip into a glass jar. If there is water in the tank it will come out first. If there is, just keep letting it drip till gas starts coming out...If there is too much water in the tank dry-gas can't do it all...I doubt its the dist,thats usually all or nothing...Keep trying,It will turn out to be something easy i bet.....todd

Thanks Todd, I already ordered the disty, all the parts on the motor were factory and getting old, just a safe measure to tune up and get some new ignition components while I'm at it.

I'll drain out the gas once it gets warmer, sometime next week.

• 1 month later...

Drained out the gas completely and put in fresh new gas.

Still bucking. The disty I got is not the right one, the shaft is too thick, it won't fit in through the hole.................

I'm thinking about removing the carb and cleaning it out and see what happens even though the thing is brand new.

Edited by Jessekrs123

Watch the tach when you are driving.  Does it 'jump' all over the place?   If so, have your disty rebuilt.   It has fixed my problem both EA81 and EA82 in the past year.    Philbin in Portland, OR.   About $150.  I used U.S. Mail - Ground $6 to ship it. They put everything in new.  Bushings, pickups, vacumn advance, etc (whatever else is in there).   Should be good to go for another 200,000 miles.

I mailed it Monday.  They got it Tuesday.  Fixed it and shipped it out on Wednesday.  I received it on Thursday.   Talk about service!  Worth every penny.

Keep up the good work! the brats lookin awesome I can't wait for summer so I can start the resto on my gl-10 and my $150 84 hatchie I'm glad I'm not the only 18 yr old Subaru nut.

I second that!!! I am not exactly a nut but i am getting there but i am 18. it defiantly takes determination. I have a 86 brat