Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really Bad steering wheel shake

And now, for something completely different.... [2001 H6 3.0]

I need to address noise coming from sepentine belt area, hoping that it's just idler/tensioner pulley bearings, and not something more costly. Read in here a while back that the H6 3.0's have this issue... Got a few ????'s....

Haven't priced out the pulleys yet, but my searches revealed changing just the bearings was the way to go... Tips/Advise?????

Would both bearings be the same? Got a couple parts #'s from 2 different sources, one is Napa 6203-2rsj, other is Parts Master PM203FF. Are these correct? once I take it apart, don't have another car running right now for trips to the parts store....

Haven't done much Subaru fixing (as this is my first) And the "stupid" Haynes book I have, shows nothing like this H6 (pics must be of only 2.5's) Grossgary advised to remove belt tension, just put a wrench on lower pulley. So.... to put the belt back on, I just tighten that pulley? and tension will be fine??

Nothing like G.M.- where we put a prybar on alternator to tighten??

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its like anything like a 2.2/2.5, there is a nut on the pulley to hold it still, loosen it, and there is a bolt with left hand thread to move it up and down. once adjusted, tighten the nut on the pulley.

Nope, this is totally different then the EJs. It has a spring loaded tensioner (Kinda like a Dodge 460) where you'd use a wrench on the tensioner bolt to push the tensioner outta the way and releave the tension.

Tom(TheLoyale)and I changed out the bearings today... All went very well. W/the purchase of a 30mm. socket to pound them out/in, whole job costed about $10. I'm extra very happy! :grin::grin::grin:

BigBigBigThank You to Tom!!!:grin: You are my friend for life!!!!!