Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lurker comes out

Hi y'all we have been a member here for a couple of years now and have just been trying to learn. I say we cause my daughter has the car and I help with the wrenching, although she is getting pretty good in her own right. She sure loves her Loyale. It's a 93 $500.00 special. With the help of my favorite Chiropracter we are bringing her back to shape. Amandas tired of people telling her how to stop all that valve noise so here shortly we are doing a rebuild on the EA82. We tried all the tricks to stop the lifter noise with no joy. It did shut up for a while with the 20w50 and mix with whatever it was, and then again with new oil pump seals. But back clakin it's little heart out again. We are also doing the 5 speed swap while it's down. 4 grand on the interstate freaks her out. A couple of members helped us with sourcing the tranny. We shreaded an 86 in the u-pullit over the last couple of weekends, got the shifter and console piece along with lots of other goodies. Was hoping to post some pics but down at the bottom it says I can't guess I have to make a few post's first. Glad I saw in an earlier post about the not shiffting into first deal. Would have never thought that. Her taste in auto decoration is quite eclectic so don't laugh when you finally get to see a pic. Anyhow thanks for all the help y'all have allready given and thanks for having us.

Jim

Hi y'all we have been a member here for a couple of years now and have just been trying to learn. I say we cause my daughter has the car and I help with the wrenching, although she is getting pretty good in her own right. She sure loves her Loyale. It's a 93 $500.00 special. With the help of my favorite Chiropracter we are bringing her back to shape. Amandas tired of people telling her how to stop all that valve noise so here shortly we are doing a rebuild on the EA82. We tried all the tricks to stop the lifter noise with no joy. It did shut up for a while with the 20w50 and mix with whatever it was, and then again with new oil pump seals. But back clakin it's little heart out again. We are also doing the 5 speed swap while it's down. 4 grand on the interstate freaks her out. A couple of members helped us with sourcing the tranny. We shreaded an 86 in the u-pullit over the last couple of weekends, got the shifter and console piece along with lots of other goodies. Was hoping to post some pics but down at the bottom it says I can't guess I have to make a few post's first. Glad I saw in an earlier post about the not shiffting into first deal. Would have never thought that. Her taste in auto decoration is quite eclectic so don't laugh when you finally get to see a pic. Anyhow thanks for all the help y'all have allready given and thanks for having us.

Jim

yeah. i have fully rebuilt the engine in my 1988 Subaru GL-10, turbo EA82, and the clacking is still there. did every trick in the book, but its actually starting to go away now. i guess time is what matters the most.

the 5 speed is an awesome swap idea, and nice to notice more people like it then i originally thought. my Subaru has the 5 speed with the center diff lock switch. i love it. AWD around town, and 4 wheel drive off road.

to post pics the best way to do it is to post them on photobucket, then link them here. like this, i will bug a link so you can see it:

IMG so the link wont work, but here

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i406/carsman710/windowpictures042.jpg' alt='windowpictures042.jpg'>

i did freak out on the 89 subaru i have i was like why is it spinning at 3000 to 4000 rpm down on the high way and its pretty normal for a subaru..

they are pretty descent car if you take care of them they will last almost forever :)

We got her on jack stands this afternoon, between the showers. Man storms are crazy all over aint they. This little gal is a chore to get in the air. We have the front sitting on the frame sections just behind the front wheels and the rear on the bumps for lack of a better word on the frame in front of where the rear tube mounts. Are these the spots y'all use? Progress pics to follow but here are a couple we took before she got tagged. Her name is Fizgig by the way

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

nice loyale, you should be ok with those points for the stands, just keep an eye on the pinch welds, on some of the weaker cars (rust) they can collapse. in the rear, i usually woul lift it by the diff and support it by the mustache bar on either side. on the front, i usually support it on the subframe. i think, its been too long since ive been under one of my ea cars.

That is a clean looking wagon! Jealous!

None of my subarus tick when I am done with them.

Had a ticking '90 Loyale with about 135,000 on the clock that I made silent and stayed that way till 185,000 when the frame rusted out.

And my '85 RX with 104,000 when I bought it has been quiet to 116,000 so far (full rebuild when I got it).

So 62,000 tick-free miles so far. I have this urge to get my box of o rings and tools out of my car when I hear a ticking EA82 at a traffic light.

1. Oil Pump re-seal

2. new cam carrier reinforced o rings

3. take apart the old lifters and soak them/clean out the spring loaded detent ball part all in a bath of carb cleaner

4. chase the oil passages in the cam carrier with pipe cleaner or similar when you have it out. I've had non-reinforced o rings get sucked into the passages in this part which will make your car tick forever.

You don't have to reinstall the little crimp top on the lifters after you've taken them apart. It just aids in reassembly, which isn't a problem if you use some assembly grease to "glue" everything together.

Once you have oil pressure back up (re-seal and new o rings), clean lifters, and clean oil, it will not tick. Just keep the oil clean-ish from then on out and you'll be golden.

Edited by Tycho

Thanks for the info. Where do you find the reinforced O rings? Are they a dealer item? Will definitly check all the points you brought up. Talked with my local guru, Mike today and he mentioned that there is an oil pipe as well with a restrictor? he described a washer type dealeo with a small hole that needs to be cleaned. We don't think there is a great need to pull the motor down to do bottom end, guess it would be a good idea to pull jugs and check rings? The car has less than 100,000 miles and was the proverbiale little ole lady car. This is my fist time going into a Subie engine, can't wait. Will try to have it out after work tomorrow. The car is in suprising shape for being a Va. car. Very little sign of demon rust. We rebuilt the foam in the drivers seat. We also did shafts but used cheap ones so probably willbe doing them again soon. I have a gauge cluster to install picked up the oil sending unit at the same time. Will have to rewire the drivers door as the locks don't work, AC blows cold. I think all she needed was wipers and a windshield to get through inspection. We are looking for cruise to pull at the upulit. The pedal bucket that came with the tranny even has the cruise cancel switch's allready. We got all the rub strips of the 86 cause daughter liked the chrome insert better. Anyone know of a source for the tape to put em on with? Maybe dealer? It also had a neat little alluminum rear window spoiler. She also wants a roof rack, we keep forgeting to bring a drill for the rivets. After the drive train is settled we plan to try our hand at painting. Wow I'm long winded. :eek: Sorry

Had to go in to work for a bit this morning, man I've got a job ahead of mr ther. We found a 6" storm sewer line seperated about an 1". Problem is it's under a floor with a whole lot of equipment sitting on it. This one's gona suck. Couldn't tell but we think the sanitary sewer line is parted too. Dad gum it. Anyhow we got the exhaust off,AC compressor, alternator out PCV lines, Air inlet giz, and some other stuff. How do y'all pull the power steering pump? Leave the pump in place and pull the lines off the block on the inner fender? Pop em off the pump? It looks to me like the PS bracket is the pick point so it's kinda gotta stay on there right? Would have kept going but we went to a pig pickin party Yehaa :banana:.

Thanks for any input

Jim