Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will an EJ22 from an auto run without the auto tranny?

Tony2toes

Im planning on a subaru 2.2 swap into my '74 bug this summer.

Ive got a '96 legacy auto for the swap but Ive read that the tranny has its own computer? And that the engines ECU recieves input from the tranny? Im not sure on this but basically what im wondering is this...

Will this motor run normally using an automatic wiring harness without an automatic tranny there anymore?

My guess is yes because Ive heard of people converting to manual trannys. Im 99% sure itll fine. Any input on this? Is that just a load of crap?

Please keep us posted on the project. I may do the same conversion myself some day since I have Type 1 and Type 2's here and 3 good Suby engines laying around.

I can tell you this. As long as they all have EGR you can swap engines between automatic and manual cars all day long.

That said for most swaps like you're doing folks seem to use engines without EGR on purpose.

There is another thread here about someone who just did this swap within the last few months.

Thanks for the info, yeah i will, and Im going to photo document the process too because the single most challenging thing about it seems to be finding good info about it. Aparently alot of people have done it but theres no basic guide anywhere and Ive still got alot of questions. Ive been reading everything I can find on the swap.

basic goals:

remove and modify motor to fit in bug

Modify tranny for strength

Mcgyger together a cooling system

Commence the wiring nightmare

Consume Beer

Conclude the wiring nightmare

Consume beer

Enjoy result:)

I've got a street legal dune buggy that needs rings (40 lbs of compression in all 4 cylinders).

The same garage has a dozen Subaru engines in it. All are EGR though because that's always what I needed.

Being a buggy MAY make the radiator stuff easier.

Currently I'm unable to do much work, hope it gets better.

I get the 71 bus back together and off the lift and some other air cooled's that I own need a little work/maintenance I'm thinking the buggy/2.2 thing would be fun. Many years ago I did a few Corvair conversions.

Please update your profile with a useful location.

• 3 weeks later...

A '96 will be ODBII I believe, so there is alot more communication between the TCU and the ECU, unlike the ODBI cars. BUT this only matters if you are running the auto in the bug, which it sounds like you aren't. The auto would require a bunch of work to get it to work, but if you are swapping out the auto for a manual, the only thing you would have to change is grounding a certain pin on the ECU telling the ECU that it's a manual car, not an auto. After doing that, you don't need the TCU anymore.

So yes, the motor will run just fine without the auto trans, as long as the ECU knows that it is dealing with a manual trans, not an auto. The pin should be documented in the swaps that people have done...

Good luck man, this looks like another sweet bug project :grin: