Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Higher ride for 2005 Legacy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,926 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Recently bought a 2005 Legacy sedan and was wondering if there is a practical way of raising the car with different tires that would still work with the stock rims without creating rubs or other handling problems.
I will need new tires soon anyway and have become accustomed to the Outback height of my other Subarus.

#2 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

my parents went to a 16" wrx rim; chose to not stay with their stock lo profile 17" on their 06 Legacy 2.5i

Then they chose a tire size 205/60/16 giving them about a half inch taller tire. Ride is much better.
Tires are cheaper.
holds the road better, less wandering.
narrower tire gives better winter snow traction.

Then my dad put 1" spacers under the front topmounts so he can get his shop jack under the front bumper.

Its the little things that can be done.

Edited by bheinen74, 15 May 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,926 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Unlike your dad's car, it looks like 205/55/16 are the original (and current) size tires on my 05 Legacy 2.5i according to tirerack.com.
Considering that as my starting point, what if any improvement in height can I achieve without going the Monster Truck route?
I do live in the northeast and get some snow.
I'm trying to understand the tire numbers and how much to push these numbers.

my parents went to a 16" wrx rim; chose to not stay with their stock lo profile 17" on their 06 Legacy 2.5i

Then they chose a tire size 205/60/16 giving them about a half inch taller tire. Ride is much better.
Tires are cheaper.
holds the road better, less wandering.
narrower tire gives better winter snow traction.

Then my dad put 1" spacers under the front topmounts so he can get his shop jack under the front bumper.

Its the little things that can be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users