Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently bought a 2005 Legacy sedan and was wondering if there is a practical way of raising the car with different tires that would still work with the stock rims without creating rubs or other handling problems.

I will need new tires soon anyway and have become accustomed to the Outback height of my other Subarus.

my parents went to a 16" wrx rim; chose to not stay with their stock lo profile 17" on their 06 Legacy 2.5i

Then they chose a tire size 205/60/16 giving them about a half inch taller tire. Ride is much better.

Tires are cheaper.

holds the road better, less wandering.

narrower tire gives better winter snow traction.

Then my dad put 1" spacers under the front topmounts so he can get his shop jack under the front bumper.

Its the little things that can be done.

Edited by bheinen74

Unlike your dad's car, it looks like 205/55/16 are the original (and current) size tires on my 05 Legacy 2.5i according to tirerack.com.

Considering that as my starting point, what if any improvement in height can I achieve without going the Monster Truck route?

I do live in the northeast and get some snow.

I'm trying to understand the tire numbers and how much to push these numbers.

my parents went to a 16" wrx rim; chose to not stay with their stock lo profile 17" on their 06 Legacy 2.5i

Then they chose a tire size 205/60/16 giving them about a half inch taller tire. Ride is much better.

Tires are cheaper.

holds the road better, less wandering.

narrower tire gives better winter snow traction.

Then my dad put 1" spacers under the front topmounts so he can get his shop jack under the front bumper.

Its the little things that can be done.