Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My "NEW" 1988 Subaru GL 4WD

All right, where do I get the faceplate?

I used my mill to enlarge the opening on the original faceplate so I could get it over the radio. Right now it sticks out 3/4", I put black electrical tape over the sheet metal to blend it in.

Can I use someones face plate as a mold? I can make a copy out of fiberglass and give it back.

The GOOD:

First gas-up since I swapped trannys. Mostly commuting miles. Put in 12.9g drove 345miles, almost 27MPG? Sound about right?

The BAD:

Cecked oil again and again it dropped. Looked real close last night and there is oil coming from the oil pan drain, will replace that next oil change. However, I still have oil leaking out the front cover. I changed the ruined front oil seal when I pulled it. What else gives? Is it possible to change the cam seals and oil pump seals without pulling that engine?

I only did the front and rear crank seals and the valve cover seals. I read some old post that I should have also replaced a couple of cam seals and oil pump seals? I don't have a manual yet for this model, so I've got no illustration to go off of. Also, I was on-line at parts express, what are the right part numbers and quantities I need? I'm not in a rush, but would like to have all the RIGHT parts when I decide to dive after this problem.

The funny thing is I'm a member of the EAA. I used to be a LongEASY driver. Currently I'm building a Cozy Mk IV. Fellow builders have used Sub engines, hence my interest in the make. I won't be ready to fly for awhile, but till I do, my Subaru's will be saving me money so I can afford one.

I think I'm just going to head to NAPA for the parts (oil seals&gaskets) so i can return them if I get the wrong ones.

• 6 months later...

Hey Mr. Radon-- I know it's been awhile, but I am so impressed by your not only your know-how :eek: , but by your diligence in updating this board for newbies like me. Changed my first set of timing belts, oil pump, water pump, cap/rotor, etc. this weekend and it was a blast. I now have somewhat of an idea how much work you did. It would have taken me months to do that job. Maybe some day.

Anyways, just wanted to give you a shout-out and let you know "job well done". :grin: