Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife's car is a '95 Legacy L, automatic, FWD, ~220,000 miles. Runs quite well, no engines problems that I know of, nice and clean, and no CEL. However, when driving the car, there is a pretty strong smell of gas. Sometimes it's pretty overwhelming. When I was changing the oil the other day, I decided to poke around and check for anything that seemed like it could be leaking fuel and I didn't find anything.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what it could possibly be?

Kind of an expensive dealer only part.

I have one used one left that's servicable but nothing special. Don't know if it could be coated or anything before install.

Send me a PM if you may be interested in it and I'll get you a pic. I think it's the one you need.

They vary by the EVAP lines towards the top in the wheel well.

Would have been easier if you would have posted a direct link to a pic.

But that's it. Usually they rot at the bottom behind the plastic shield and the rest of it look spretty good.

If it's not on an Outback it's pretty cramped where the short hose attaches between the filler tube and tank. The extra inch on a OBW really helps.

It will rust and develop pin holes. If it's leaking you will be able to smell gas in the area of the wheel well.

Under the hood there are a few places that can leak. Priming the fuel system or sniffing around while the engine is running can help pick out the source.

It will rust and develop pin holes. If it's leaking you will be able to smell gas in the area of the wheel well.

Under the hood there are a few places that can leak. Priming the fuel system or sniffing around while the engine is running can help pick out the source.

To be honest, after one good whiff of gas, I may pass out. This may take a bit to pinpoint. My sense of smell is very strong and I smell gas when no one else does. Is there any way to find any trouble areas that may be more apt to develop this problem than others... that is, before the filler tube?

Do you have any exhaust leaks? Any recent work done to the car?

Her exhaust IS EXTREMELY loud, but that's just because her bend pipes have some small holes in them. However, before the holes, there was this smell. The smell is nothing new, but it does seem to be getting worse while everything else stays the same. And as far as any work being done, there hasn't been anything.

To be honest, after one good whiff of gas, I may pass out. This may take a bit to pinpoint. My sense of smell is very strong and I smell gas when no one else does. Is there any way to find any trouble areas that may be more apt to develop this problem than others... that is, before the filler tube?

Well when you wake up, if you remember where your nose was before you passed out then you might have found the leak. :lol:

Other ways are visual evidence. Gas cleans things. If it is dripping down from one of the fuel rails, it will leave a clean streak.

Gas leaking from the fuel lines by the filter, or where they attach to the engine, will make the hoses appear wet/shiny.

Well when you wake up, if you remember where your nose was before you passed out then you might have found the leak. :lol:

Other ways are visual evidence. Gas cleans things. If it is dripping down from one of the fuel rails, it will leave a clean streak.

Gas leaking from the fuel lines by the filter, or where they attach to the engine, will make the hoses appear wet/shiny.

Haha, yeah, I may want to wear a helmet while testing this.

I think when it finally stops raining and being cold, I'll rip the quarter panel off and take a look. Is it best to just take the plastic shield off altogether?

Edited by Arty
I looked like a caveman spelling.

No need to rip the quarter panel off. Just tuck your helmeted head under the right rear well and have a look (wear a gas mask and hip boots if you're really concerned).

Common things happen commonly.

If you haven't removed the shield from the gas filler tube, I'd start there first unless your whiffer tells you it's under the hood. If you find all sorts of road sand/salt in there you may have found your leak. At the least, you will have removed a potential (and predictable) problem area.

As others pointed out the filler tube gets little pin holes. You may notice it as only a damp spot on the tube after a fill-up but gas is pretty smelly stuff and might be enough to offend your senses.

Edited by brus brother

No need to rip the quarter panel off. Just tuck your helmeted head under the right rear well and have a look (wear a gas mask and hip boots if you're really concerned).

Common things happen commonly.

If you haven't removed the shield from the gas filler tube, I'd start there first unless your whiffer tells you it's under the hood. If you find all sorts of road sand/salt in there you may have found your leak. At the least, you will have removed a potential (and predictable) problem area.

As others pointed out the filler tube gets little pin holes. You may notice it as only a damp spot on the tube after a fill-up but gas is pretty smelly stuff and might be enough to offend your senses.

Thanks, man! I'll give this a go on Saturday when I have the time to poke around. Until I asked, I was unaware that this was even an issue. I guess it looks like I will be messing with my car as well, since I don't want this to be an issue for me. I guess the "shield" causes more problems than it prevents?