Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza 2WD convert to 4WD ???

yea, I believe the subframe and such will all bolt up.

Also, in an EJ AWD conversion you have to swap the gas tank. This may be Impreza-specific.

And, the driveshaft is longer 5MT v 4EAT. But the Impreza is shorter than the legacy, so you'll need a 5MT impreza shaft (or shorten the rear half of the legacy one).

Oh yea, that '93 will have 23 spline front axles. so you'll need to swap axles to use the 25 spline AWD trans.

yea, I believe the subframe and such will all bolt up.

Also, in an EJ AWD conversion you have to swap the gas tank. This may be Impreza-specific.

And, the driveshaft is longer 5MT v 4EAT. But the Impreza is shorter than the legacy, so you'll need a 5MT impreza shaft (or shorten the rear half of the legacy one).

Oh yea, that '93 will have 23 spline front axles. so you'll need to swap axles to use the 25 spline AWD trans.

great thats good news the Imp presently has a bad tranny, now in the future if I want to ungrade to a EJ22 will it work with all the 1.8 parts ?? thanks Scott

in the future if I want to ungrade to a EJ22 will it work with all the 1.8 parts ?? thanks Scott

It will bolt straight in, but you will have to work on the wiring to make it run correctly. You might be able to limp it around with the EJ18 wiring and ECU but I don't think you'd be getting the most of of the EJ22.

Cheers

Bennie

It will bolt straight in, but you will have to work on the wiring to make it run correctly. You might be able to limp it around with the EJ18 wiring and ECU but I don't think you'd be getting the most of of the EJ22.

Cheers

Bennie

By swapping the intake from the 1.8 to the 2.2 you will have zero wiring issues. Bolts right up. And you will run great with the ecu. You can not swap Legacy and Impreza ECU's so this would be a mute point any way!