Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Forester Timing Belt Replacement

Next weekend I'm going to do my first timing belt replacement. Hopefully, my 2006 Forester will survive the experience.

Someone had an excellent post with pictures on where to put a big screwdriver through the bell housing to lock up the crankshaft. Can anyone refer me to the post?

There's not a whole space in front of the engine in a Forester. Any thoughts on pulling the radiator for my first time at a timing belt?

Also, if anyone knows of a video on the timing belt changw on the 2.5L SOHC I'd sure appreciate the address. Any other info or tips would be great.

For the next seven days I'll be repeating to myself "dots and lines, not arrows, dot and lines, not arrows...". I sure wish I was able to have a practice run on an non-interference engine first. Thanks.

Edited by The Dude

Yep - dots and hash marks!!!

Make sure you get the crank bolt TIGHT.

And if you're doing cam seals and stuff break loose the cam sprocket bolts BEFORE removing the timing belt - it's a lot easier.

A lot of us always replace the idelrs with a kit.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51554&page=2

There is an access cover. Its hidden under the throttle body. Use a needle nose to grab it. If you turn the crank (22mm) with a flashlight you'll see the slot in the flex housing. If you don't have a 2nd person to hold the brakes, do it this way.

Make sure it is a sturdy screwdriver. One popped on me and you can't imagine the horror I felt as the broken piece fell down! Put that off til later and on turning the crank the glorious sound of falling metal greeted my ears. Went under with my magnetic pickup tool and was able to fish it out. Used a lug wrench after that.

I take the radiator out, as the screwdrivers I have always hit it as I try to lever the lower sprocket into place.

Do search proper "burp" procedure if you remove the radiator.

for future ref.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Have fun

O.