Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza 2WD to Lifted 4WD with Dualrange SJR Build

Scott in Bellingham

got it

5744595075_0e809d1f01_z.jpg

its a 93 FWD Impreza with a EJ1.8 , the stock tranny givin out doesnt like 3rd and 4th gear makes a bunch of tranny noise , drives great, nice little car plans are

add EA82 dualrange , add 4" lift, replace rear suspension to make it 4 wheel drive weldup the rear and add some mudders Walker Valley hear we come Wooooo Hooooo............ for now Ill drive it to work , get all the parts and lift ready then make the conversion

been lookin and thinkin looks like I just might do a 6" lift, have most the stuff from past projects, thinkin straight up 6" on everything, use stock struts and some 25 in MT tires, then at a later date go Forester/Outback struts on the front , add a solid rear axle and then add my 235/75 Bighorns, this way I can quickly get this pig offroadable with a small enough tire so no worries breakin rear axles then later go strong rear axle and bigger tires, got less then 2 weeks if I want to take it to the Oregon run

5749693442_0833e979ac_z.jpg

if youa rre gonna rin a smaller tire, their is absolutely no need for 6 inches of lift. with 4 inches there is almost no trimming involved.....with a moderately sized tire anyway...

cheers, b

well ... more lift does give better approach and departure, also more room under body which helps from bottoming out in the middle of the car , no change at the axles and crossmembers , also more lift will aid in the future if I go solid axle in the rear

Heres the tires got one mounted up and did a test fit, clears the stock struts and fenders, 195/75-14

5753657026_2a3c7a0b52_z.jpg

after lookin at the lift block pile and thinkin I just might go with a 4" block all my blocks are 3" and I have some 2x4 rec tubing that wants to be cut up and realistically ouce this baby up I probably wobt make the jump bigger as its my daily driver might just buy some ATs and call it good

Nice ride there........same color as the Ms's???

4-6" lift with those tires, minus stock bumpers would help with those angles also. Ok, admittedly I just wanna see you put tube bumpers on that imp!

That was the Or. run I was talking bout, Earl. Sucks for me, having a new job can't make it. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119897

i am well aware of what it can help with......

but COG is more important to me i guess.and , lets face it, you are still dealing with stock gearing.so approach will only net just that.......

just sayin.you'll see when you get her up that high what she does.cheers, b

^^^^ Quit. . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::lol:

Remember the Weeble? I do. 12 inches of lift and 32s. I saw that thing at some really crazy tilts, it never did go over. See that basket on top, that was heavy tools and water and stuff.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=140&g2_serialNumber=2

Guess how much lift this one had? None, only 14 inch tires under a stock mobile.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136&g2_serialNumber=1

3 or 6 inches of lift on an impreza won't be any kind of noticable difference.

What I wanna know is which one of these projects, ie: justy, jeep, outback, or impreza you're gonna follow thru on Scott?

Edited by Zap

i'm not necessarily talking about flopping, as i am talking about handling.like you said before they handle great......:)

i could care less what he actually does with it.thats just where my mind is at with the buggy.....so i was flappin and flippin him ************.:grin:

and ,i'm with you...is he gonna finish one?:)cheers, me

. :rolleyes:what I wanna know is which one of these projects, ie: justy, jeep, outback, or impreza you're gonna follow thru on Scott?

heres the deal

Jeeps for sale

Outback will be lift kit only

Impreza will be wheeled next weekend

Justy will get done, just different then started will be a quick build once I get on it again

Just curious Scott. I haven't had a chance to talk with you in quite a while, we need to catch up sometime.

@Brain: I dig the idea of a lifted impreza. But after making my silver wagon tall, I looked around and saw my lifted Toy as well as my lifted hatch at the time. Just didn't make sense to keep it tall. So I lowered it an inch and some lower than stock instead. Now it rips corners pretty good, lifts a rear tire it's so tight. ;)

• 3 weeks later...