Ultimate Subaru Message Board

suspension questions

Cpt. Stooby

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I've been researching front springs lately. From what I've found, aside from being progressive rate, all the various Tempo front springs are the same spring rate as a stock EA82, around 146. Also, the earlier Tempos had even less of a spring rate, like around 115.

For those that suspect that perhaps Jeszek has rear Tempo springs, those too only have a 115 spring rate. But it is curious that his fit without any modification, but he still saw improved stiffness, lift, which indicates that these definitely were not off of ANY Tempo. Makes you wonder what the hell they came off of.

However, if you have to cut the Tempo springs to fit, then that will increase their spring rate. To what, I do not know, one would have to take them in to get tested. But either way, it sounds like a lot of trouble to go to for little gain.

So the search continues for a better candidate that hopefully doesn't need any cutting or modification. We should be concentrating on sports cars with large aftermarket followings, so that we can get them cheaply off of eBay, and have lots of variety with rates and lengths.

So has any investigating using newer Subaru springs?

Heh, I dug up a bunch of good info on possible alternatives for front springs, but was posting it in the wrong thread. Sooooooo, here's what I've found:

2000 Ford Crown Victoria, rear coil springs

Coil spring inner diameter 4.54"

Spring Rate 163, wire diameter .593"

Free height 15.25"

Load height 11.5"

Only problem is that it has those pigtail ends. However, once you saw those off, you're gonna have a nice variable rate spring that might be just the right height. And since Crown Vics are cop cars, we might be able to find a lot of these used.

=======================================

1993 Dodge Intrepid

Spring ID: 4.663"

Free height: 14"

Load height: 12"

Spring rate: 135

Wire diameter: .562

Not much load rate, but with some trimming it may increase. However, this ain't a variable rate spring, so this might serve as a decent OEM replacement.

=======================================

However, the next gen Intrepid, 1998-2004, might work very well.

Spring ID: 4.75"

Free Height: 12.9"

Load height: 10"

Load: 420

Spring Rate: 145

Wire diameter: .531"

No pigtail ends, either. Just one tangential end, one square. These might just be perfect. And rather than going to the junkyard, scraping my knuckles and sweating like crazy to get these off, only to be charged a ton for them anyway, I'm just going to go buy these from my parts store, see how they fit, then return them if they don't. :D

Edited by Cyfun

Did you see in the thread when I mentioned using the 98+ intrepid springs? If my tempo springs went to ************ I was going to order those next.

But the tempo springs seem to be holding up just fine. Even tho they aren't as wide. They don't shift at all.

I saw you mentioned it but hadn't tried it. Like I said, I wanna get a hold of them to see how easy they will mount up, and how well they rest on the strut. If that goes well, they they should be a great replacement. We shall find out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tempo= any front springs-when i put them under my ej swapped EA82 wagon, I cut a full coil out and it STILL lifted the front end an inch...

I got my springs from a second gen ford tempo 1988-1994 with a v6. ... The springs are actually about 1/2" smaller in diameter than subaru stuff, but they will still seat just fine. ... So I went to the junkyard and found a tempo with a v6 (2nd gen, the yard didn't have any 1st gens, not that I knew what a first gen tempo even looked like) and grabbed its front springs. took them home and was amazed to see that they would work. just a little tall. I had to remove a coil just to fit them on the struts.

... But the tempo springs seem to be holding up just fine. Even tho they aren't as wide. They don't shift at all.

Same here, The Ford Tempo Coil Spring has a Half inch (1/2") smaller diameter than the Subaru ones, but that is not a problem.

I Drive my Subaru "BumbleBeast" with them since Long time ago and they doesn't "Shift" nor make any noise.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Mispelled word, fixed

• 4 weeks later...

Because my front springs are sagging some & the front sits lower than level on my 87 GL I'm considering what springs to use.

Found a pair of used Tempo fronts(straightwound - not progressive) with all the rubber parts.

Because of added front end weight(steel bumper, winch, front skid plate & tubes, ~15lbs for EJ swap) have been considering higher load&/or rate springs. Among those found at the Moog universal spring page(http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/Universal_Coil_Springs.asp) were CC854, CC856 or CC835. The CC852/854/856 all have about the same rate as the original 4wd springs-146lbs/in.

The last one has a shorter install height, higher rate & load(174lb/in, 691lb load, 9.13" install height, 13.50" free length, .541 dia wire, 4.030 ID coils).

The CC835 has a short pigtail end coil that would need to cut to fit. The intended application is for 1980-2004 Ford Mustang coupes/convertibles.

I could see the need for a higher load spring because of added front load(sprung weight) plus a higher rate spring for the added weight of larger wheels & tires(unsprung weight).

Anyone else been thinking along the same lines?

idk about you guys, but I'd rather just save some $$ and get some King springs from australia. Yeah they are $400 for a set but thats only 2x what tempo stuff is. And you KNOW the king ones will work and are actually made for the cars and made to lift them. I'm all for "making stuff work" It just seems like it'd be better to just go with the sure thing.

idk about you guys, but I'd rather just save some $$ and get some King springs from australia. Yeah they are $400 for a set but thats only 2x what tempo stuff is. And you KNOW the king ones will work and are actually made for the cars and made to lift them. I'm all for "making stuff work" It just seems like it'd be better to just go with the sure thing.

WUH?!? Somebody makes a spring that will by design fit my GL?! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! No seriously, I still don't have my freaking suspension sorted out and I am very interested. Have a link?

I knew about those King Springs for the EA82 body since Long time ago, but $ 400.ºº for a Pair, plus Shipping and Handling from Australia... Well, is too expensive for me; also I don't see them listed on their website anymore...

Found the lowered & stock height springs for Leone at King Springs site, but likewise $400 is a bit too steep for me. Found straight wound '88 Tempo springs with top & bottom isolators on a suspension 1/2 off day at local PAP for $37 for the pair.

Top mounts can be ground down to nestle nicely inside the top hat for the Subaru struts. Cut one bottom coil off the springs. Chopped the KYB snubbers in half for more travel. Springs are mounted on Monroe 4WD(#s 71876 & 71877) EA struts in the pics.

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

021-1.jpg

023.jpg

Edited by czny

On the rear spring mod using the Honda Accord spring - I just did that one! It's pretty cool! My rear is a couple of inches higher now. I used the springs for the front of a 1988 Honda Accord. I saw someone suggest to get the ones from a car with a manual tranny and no A/C, as that car is about 300 lbs lighter than the auto tranny and the spring is not quite as stiff.

548020_3670856205506_863950344_n.jpg