Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New RC Project??

I always seem to get ahead of myself on projects. I am still waiting for a chassis frame in the mail to build my dodge trex 6x6 rc rock crawler (class 2 if any of you follow rock crawling)

Well now I am thinking of building an all wheel steering 8x8 with a tamiya globe liner body... maybe run full leaf springs on it... not sure yet.... Probably run some 2.2 Rok Lok tires or something.... Putting me in class 3.

Rough sketch I made in photoshop (in about 30 seconds :rolleyes:)

The real tires would be bigger than that, but it gives you a rough idea of body perportions and exo-tube work and stuff.

Sad that building this may cost more than a cheap subaru (something like $160 worth of axles and $100 worth of rubber on the road, etc, etc.)

globeliner.jpg?t=1306287272

I thought about maybe building a metal box for the back so it looks like a rally support vehicle meets dakar rally truck or something.... with Subaru stickers painted rally blue of course :D

• 2 months later...
Way to follow thru Mike!

Also. I found those tapes. I can now make you dvd copies. Gimme time. . . But at least they showed up.

Nice, I have only been able to watch stuff on youtube recently for my subaru off road fix as I dont even have a VHS player to watch my tapes :-\

I really hope to have this ram ready for WCSS... should be fun to play around with. If I don't finish it I still have my scaler brat... complete with working front winch :slobber:

Nice, I have only been able to watch stuff on youtube recently for my subaru off road fix as I dont even have a VHS player to watch my tapes :-\

I really hope to have this ram ready for WCSS... should be fun to play around with. If I don't finish it I still have my scaler brat... complete with working front winch :slobber:

I was just showing people your Brats and this thread..

This is awesome Mike! Great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Still not done with the 6x6 ram and I am already thinking about the 8x8 idea. running some big 2.2 inch wheels and 5+ inch tires, probably a mercedes cab with a dakar style rear box, all painted in SWRT colors.... and here is the kicker... I want the box to be insulated to double as a cooler!!

Just think.... an 8 wheel drive, 8 wheel steering beer cooler!! :slobber:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

My name's Charlie, and I'm hopelessly addicted to RC racing. Nice looking custom builds there. I've never had the patience to build anything like that. When I get a new RC, I turn into a lunatic. First there's the frustration of waiting on all the backordered parts to come in, then there's the mad rush to build it ASAP once the parts all get here.

Right now there is a kit for the SC10 4x4 truck sitting on my workbench waiting on it's brushless motor to get here so I can start the build.

My main racer is my HPI Baja 5B SS, and it's my all time favorite RC. I have neglected all my nitros ever since I got it. :eek:

Ya my poor rigs get pretty neglected sometimes... I comped my brat today and had not cleaned it up from the last time I ran it... so once I got throught the first gate I realized all the mud from 2 weeks ago was causing major front end binding. Had to take a break and run it through the river to get all the mud out of the front end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The body parts set just came in :clap:

I still need Frame, electronics, wheels and assembly.

GlobeCab.jpg?t=

This is roughly how the first 2 axles will be sitting in relation to the body. I will have 2 rear bodies for it. One will be a low CG "trials" body for comp use. The other one will be a dakar box style... which will work as a beer cooler. :drunk:

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, glad to see you got some more parts for this project. I was wondering if all 8 tires are going to have 4 ounces of ballest in them. It's a good thing that's going to be a crawler, you'll never set any speed records with 2 pounds of ballest in the tires.

I'm in a motel room, having trouble sleeping. I'm in Osawatomie KS for the Spooktacular race at Timberline raceway.:clap: Gotta get one more 5th scale race in before the outdoor season is over. Then I'll be stuck racing small stuff indoors all winter long. At least there are some good indoor races around here over the winter. Have you heard of the Chili Bowl? It's an indoor circle track race held in Tulsa every Jan. Next door they have the Chili Bowl Jr, an RC circle track race. Last year they added an offroad SCT race, and I'm entering this year if I'm not too broke to get a hotel room for 3 nights.

http://adamscreekrc.net/forums/showthread.php?1261-2012-2nd-Annual-Short-Course-Shootout

If any of you guys are close enough, come on down for some fun.

I figure I will run the lower profile "trials" bed on it for crawling. I don't care about traction when I have the beer cooler on the back. Just payload. Given that I expect the truck to weigh like 12 pounds I figure the beer will weigh about the same as the truck. Hopefully doable as long as I don't turn too fast.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can tell you guys love the custom builds as much as I love the large scale stuff. Here's something that we can all drool over, a custom built 1/4 scale Peterbilt 359. This thing is epic, and good to show the wife when she complains your spending too much on RCs. Check out all the custom work he's done to the trailer too. Here's a link to the builder's Youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMakerLuca