1998 legacy Straight axle build PICS ADDED 06-26

True2Blue

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont believe spacers are needed the rims were matched to this build

and i have no idea about the brat width

I see you have both '85 axles... I have a wider '86 Axle in the rear, and an '85 in front with 2" spacers. makes 'em a tad wider in front...

I'm running 17x9 wheels with 4" backspacing...

shop was closed even though he told me to come out.. the legacy is my only car so i have to barrow.. my wife will get pics this week im on my way to klamath falls then Sacramento

Edited by True2Blue

i start school tomorrow i cant wait till im allowed to use the tube benders and welders...

ill be doing some of my own fine tuning on the chassis to make everything as "tight" as possible without sacrificing strength and mobility. (like mod the cross-member)

Dave says the subaru should be sittin about as high as it is on the blocks:grin:

Ill be taking a second year at this school chassis modification :grin:

Edited by True2Blue

If you can't take valid, constructive criticism, why are you posting photos in a public forum on the internet? No one is bashing you, they are questioning the design of the crossmember and the quality of the welds.

After a few weeks of welding classes at Wyotech, you will be able to do cleaner welds than your "pro fabricator". Just because you pay someone to do something, doesn't mean they are a professional.

in this public fourm i asked for to keep the negative bs to a minimum. If a guy drops 10k into his rig the last thing he will wanna hear is ************ like "get your money back youve been f****d" or "nice shocks, thats about it though"

i mean why even say anything at all how about leave the public fourm part for questions that pertain to the ride. not 'your s**t sucks'

and id wait to criticize a design till its done.. in my eyes common sense isnt playin a factor in some of these guys lives.

everyone also talks about how its gonna fail when i know they have never had a custom 4 link made to speak from experience..

anyways i can take criticism its just annoying when its repeated over and over after asking people to just watch and enjoy. some stupid f*** always has to say something :grin:

regardless of what anyone has to say ill have it posted on my facebook for those that wanna follow the build

those are long shocks!!! i found this thread last night, and think your doing a great job and is a great project that thinks outside the box. i put a brat on early bronco frame that fits 37"tires. wish i would have went with subframe and 4 links. i do have the James Duff rear 4 link though.

i did notice y-pipe exhaust seems close to upper links,but picture may be deceiving me.,

could you post picture with tires so i can see completed stance:grin:

i have 5 more brats in backyard so another monster is in my future. right now doing an ej22 swap and a complete stock rebuild to another brat.

keep the posts coming and more once its completed,, dont let the haters bring you down... i sure most dont have enough forethought to think outside the boxer engine ,never mind a box !!!!!

could you post picture with tires so i can see completed stance:grin:

in due time :)

once the clutch and steering box are here my wife will be taking them to the fab shop.. were waiting on the coils theres 2 per shock and they are Subaru Legacy Brighton Specific :grin:

2 coils came in the others were delayed cause of the 4th

ill post pics once its done even a few of it flexing on the haters hoods :lol:

no but i will have its flex 'test' pics posted

Edited by True2Blue

Complements of my fab guy! (hes really takin care of me)

Before

IMG_0948.jpg

After :banana:

IMG_0949.jpg

and the housing everyone has been askin for

IMG_0950.jpg

the rest of it will be complete when the parts get to my wife in black diamond. so everything will be there this week!

steering will be done soon

the engine and tranny will be mounted and drive lines will be made.

im stoked

Edited by True2Blue

Just found this thread. Epic project, man. I'm very curious to see how this thing drives. Poor articulation and high gearing are the biggest problems when making an offroading Suub, and you've found the best way to combat them without resorting to go 'Merkan on it and just throw a Legacy body on a Bronco chassis.

What I'm most curious about is how you mount your Toy hubs to the Suub, and whether you're gonna put your locking hubs on the front or the rear. I've always thought it'd be sweet to weld both diffs and have locking hubs on each wheel. :D

Ill be on a 'testing' phase for a bit. im gonna hub the front axle and put lockers (remote) in front and rear the only other change i can see happening is goin to 4.56 instead of 4.10 but ive heard that 4.10's arnt bad to im gonna try it before i bash it yanno.

Sounds like a good plan. Can't hurt to try the 4.10s if they're already there. And the Toy's low range is a lot lower than the Suby's low, so that'll help immensely.

What size tires are you gonna run?