Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to mount speakers in ea81 hatchback

i want to put good sound in my hatchback. front and back.

I have seen ea81 front speakers mounted in three places:

1. a single 6" long oval speaker mounted on the face of the dash above the glovebox

2. a single 4" long oval speaker mounted on the face of the dash next to the driver side door

3. a pair of 6" round speakers mounted low in the doors (would require cutting my doors)

The only place I have seen rear speakers mounted is above the rear wheel wells. To mount 6 inch speakers here would require removing the evaporation tank thing on the passenger side rear wheel well.

I would like to see where you guys have mounted speakers in an ea81 era hatch or other vehicle.

I am thinking of using the two behind the dash locations in the front, probably 4" speakers and the wheel wells in the back with 6" speakers.

What say you?

For the fronts you can mount two 4x6 plate speakers in the stock locations. Drivers side you have to be a bit creative with the stock speaker mount in order to get the new plate speaker to mount up and look factory. As for the rears hatches came with 4 inch round speakers which are just about as good as paperweights. I think with some massaging you can get some 5 1/4 rounds to fit or maybe even some 6 1/2 rounds (not so sure on the second one). You will most likely be mounting the speakers to the plastic however and cutting away the interior trim to do so. Ive seen it done before like that i just cant remember what size speaker was used. You would have to do some measuring and find out what works.

If you look at this post: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=996335#post996335 towards the bottom there is a picture of exactly what is under the plastic in the back of a hatch (in case you haven't taken it apart yet.)

I don't remember there being any significant differences between the sides. I'm almost positive the center holes will allow for 5 1/4s with drilling of new mounting holes. I remember the 4's I used were wallowing in the big hole, but I didn't measure it (sorry.)

If you start at the beginning of that same thread, it shows some pretty detailed pictures of a dash mounted driver's side speaker (thanks to GD.) The passenger side is pretty straight forward.

Hope that helps.

Dan

i just went to wal-mart and got some "put it together yourself " speaker boxes. i left some slack coiled up and if i had to haul something i could slide them around and also set them on top of the car for outdoor events. they also have those quick release clips for fast removal if you have to . my brat quit to where i had to leave it over night and it was a small relief to be able to take my expensive speakers with me . just a thought .