Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R12A Refrigerant

do a google local prices I've seen are only for 134A.

Believe R12a is illegal in US and no longer available

O.

it illegal to release it into the atmosphere. some places actually require a license to handle the stuff, and it expensive to get R12 systems charged. i actually managed to get a hold of four 1 pound cans of the stuff, and got my system recharged at school cause we have the machine that does that stuff.

try looking around, if your lucky, you might be able to find a shop that might do it. or not.

converting to R134A is your best bet. i was about to do that to my car, but decided not too after i found the R12. R12 is good stuff, freeze ya butt good.

oh, what you need to convert to R134A:

A/c flush/clean kit

R134A seal kit

new A/C drier

pag 150 oil

R134A refrigerant

some A/c systems have a little filter in one of the lines some where that you have to replace too. i dont know if the Subaru's do, but i know i have a 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight that has that. and you might have to go to a shop to get your a/c system vacuumed, there can be no air in your system. you have to get all the moisture out.

oh and for people that know, here's the reason R12 and R134A arent compatible:

R12 uses mineral oil for the system lubrication, and R134A uses a Synthetic oil, and those 2 oils dont mix. but, im am starting to notice that some company is coming out with a refrigerant that is compatible with both systems, so take a look into that.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

I am a refrigeration technician and R12 is still available for purchase. Manufacturing of the refrigerant has been banned. It is a very expensive refrigerant due to all of the r12 is now being recycled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you

Scott

Stay with R12 if you can!

R12 is great stuff and its still available in the states and is still produced in large numbers over seas. You can take an open book course online for $20(takes about 20 min too) and be certified so you can buy it yourself, right here in the states, but the stuff is expensive. sorry, I don't have the link anymore, but when I was looking, I found a couple sites that offer legit certification.

The R12 sustitutes are just a mixure of other refrigerants and are usually 135a based. The other refrigerants and additives help keep to deal with the mineral oil PAG issue, but they're really not the right way to do it...but they work.

Downgrading(it is a downgrade) to R134a is an option($$$), but keep in mind R134a is going to be outlawed for consumer use, just like R12....I think in 2016.. So if you downgrade to R134a, you willn't have refill options in a few years!! R134a's cooling effiecency is roughly %12-15 less than R12. Running R134a in a system designed for R12 can also cause you compressor to fry early, because 134a is harder to cycle. The EPA has admitted that R134a isn't a viable solution to R12, and damn near every HVAC guy agrees.

There are a couple options that work great, aren't harmful to the planet and cool as effecently as R12(and is compatible with a R12 system), but none are DOT approved. I've heard of guy using propane or butane and it works great, theres only a tiny amount there so its not really a fire hazard(enough for a poof).

Be aware too that buying R12 or any other refrigerant that required certification, without both buyer and seller certified can be jail time and a huge fine. I've never heard of anybody getting pinched, but be aware of what your doing.

my .02

The reason I asked was, last week I bought 4 12 oz. cans of R12A at Big Lots for $8.00 apiece. I didn't know if there was any reason not to buy it as I am slowly gathering together things to get my A/C running again. It sounded like a good deal. I know I can take it back if R12A is not the way one should go with the mid-80s Subes.

Opinions on R12A vs. R134?

The reason I asked was, last week I bought 4 12 oz. cans of R12A at Big Lots for $8.00 apiece. I didn't know if there was any reason not to buy it as I am slowly gathering together things to get my A/C running again. It sounded like a good deal. I know I can take it back if R12A is not the way one should go with the mid-80s Subes.

why didnt you say so. hell yeah R12 is a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, much colder too. my Subaru is running a restored R12 system and i love it. its even better then the A/C in out pickup trucks (they are R134A) you got a steal of a deal. biglots could have easy sold that stuff for 30 bucks a can and the normal person wouldnt think much of it cause they know how much more expensive it is even at that. i found 5 of the those 1 pound (12 OZ) cans and managed to get them for 5 bucks each. awesome find dude.

oh, and the answer to your original queastion: well, lets see here, we got our system recharged in our 1991 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign about 5 years ago, and we had to pay 60 bucks per pound(12 OZ) then take it in and have it charged. i guess its pretty sweet when you stumble upon someones stock that they didnt know they had and they sell it dirt cheap cause they dont know what its worth.

I'm asking about R12A, not the old R12. Are we all talking about the same thing?

ha, hahaha, ha. yeah, im a idiot. missed the A the whooooooooole time. dont really know all too much about the stuff. i know a guy locally who sells the stuff, and believe it or not, its compatible with both R12 and R134A. i have not had the chance to try it yet, but the guy tells me its good stuff, and it costs less then either of those. he sells em daily at 8 dollars per 12OZ (1pound) can.

i found this website to be interestingly helpful.

http://freeze-12.com/

R12A is just known as Duracool and theres thread after thread on the Jeep forums on its use and performance.

R12A is propane/butane based IIRC. Its one of the "mixes" of refrigerants I was talking about and has nothing to do with R12. R12a/Duracool one of the better "mixes", and people I've talked to have said its a little better than 134a. I'm not sure its DOT approved(never stopped me!), but another good one mentioned in that forum is Freeze12. Freeze12 is 134a based and performs similair to 134a. They'll work, but if you enjoyed real R12, it'll never get that cold again:(

I gave up on fixing A/C systems, reconditioned parts are low quality and I have been completely spoiled with R12. All my vehicles...Jeeps/Trucks/now cars(my GL) are all wheelers, zombie survival rigs, and DD's, so A/C compressors get turned into air compressors for tire air and air tools and when I need to cool down I take the doors off and/or take my Jeep for a swim:cool:

If you really need A/C in Wa. , good luck - its a PITA

If you really need A/C in Wa. , good luck - its a PITA

I don't deal well with heat anymore, at my age. When it's hot here, it's hot.

I want everything to work on the car, all the systems.

If I ever decide to sell the car I don't want to be saying "this is broken, that doesn't work".

I like to keep everything I own in fully-functional condition. I wish I could apply that to my body. :)

I don't deal well with heat anymore, at my age. When it's hot here, it's hot.

I want everything to work on the car, all the systems.

If I ever decide to sell the car I don't want to be saying "this is broken, that doesn't work".

I like to keep everything I own in fully-functional condition. I wish I could apply that to my body. :)

Gotcha!

Well if you use Duracool to get your system back up, please post back some results! I'm curious how it behaves in a subaru