Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPFI to SPIDER swap, some MORE issues see below

So,

I am finally getiing my spider intake on my 85 EA82T (thanks dennisex24 and SVXPert) and I'm noticing some differences.

Primarily, The 85 disty is a vacuum advance unit and unlike the MPFI manifold, there seems to be no provision for vacuum advance for the disty. I assume the XT used a crank angle sensor type advance deal (which I don't really understand and don't have a suitable FSM for an XT)

Should I try to retrofit to make the 85 disty work or should I replace the disty with a newer version that doesn't use the vacuum advance system.

As you may be able to tell, I am kind of clueless on how these advance sytems work, please school me!

garner

Which wiring harness/ECU/MAF are you using? if its the 85, then use the 85 vacuum advance dizzy.. if you swapped to the newer optical type dizzy, you would need the rest of the matching wiring and electronics to go with it.

As far as the XT using the CAS dizzy.. it depends on what year it was.. They use the same motor as any other EA82T car, so I assume they follow the same standards.. CAS dizzys were used from 87-up..

calebz,

It's the 85 harness and on the MPFI intake there is a 3 nippled fitting (which I just sent to meeky moose) who's proper name escapes me. In my understanding, this thing senses coolant temp and sends vacuum to the disty.

There is no provision for this on the spider but I bet I could drill and tap for the sensor (after I get a repalcement) ?

What I don't understand is does the disty only need to advance when the coolant is cold? What if there was no advance on the disty?

I ran into this same issue with my spider intake. Does your distributor have 1 or 2 vacuum lines? Mine had 2. You should be able to get away with plugging off the "retard" line, and connecting the advance line directly to the base of the throttle body. I had some other issues that resulted in my current use of a 1-line disty, but I don't think this should be necessary for you.

Ok,

next difficulty or issue or ....

I know the EGR as not common on Spider intake and the NA spider has none.

The EA82T has a port on the passenger side near the exhaust port that is was connected to the old intake with a hard pipe. The spider has no provisions for this connection. It does have the little solinoid or something that the FSM calls EGR solinoid but it is just connected to small vacuum lines.

Can I just plug the hole in the head and skip the whole EGR thing?

garner

that little egr solinoid in my book is a waste of time.. the one on my RX has been gone since i bought the car..

i accidentally broke mine when doing a tune up, so i unpluged the electrical plug and capped off the vacuum line and saw no difference in how it ran.. so i left it that way..

still that way with the new motor too..