Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 overheats in 10 mins. Help. thar she blows!

Hi all, just got the little beasie to fire! Bought with blown head gasket, all went well. did not want wake up though. barely crapped or popped. checked and rechecked timing, firing order. ( as car came in heaps of boxes.) Parts still on car were all molested. After cranking the key for 2 mins. while dancing on the gas ped. it came to life. Small victory.

smoked like a skeeter fogger.

filled it with water.

restart showed less smoke.

over heat in bout 5 mins.

checked for stuck t stat.( was not one in there ) go fig.

Found the ground for the fan, jumped it so it's on all times.

Shiny new water pump and hoses.( don't think its those.)

Not one gadge in the dash works, so i don't know what the real temp is, but water SHOOTS out cap. Heads feel TOO WARM to the touch.

What else should i be looking for, as this is first subaru.

Thanks, Floortom.

thats the same symptoms I had in my old wagon. at the first stages of the headgasket failure, it's actually sealed until the engine heats up enough to open up the gasket hole enough for the pressure to get into the coolant. mine would be fine when I started it up, but my the time I got home (6 miles) it was like someone had turned a faucet on out of the rad. I replaced the headgaskets, and it was fine.... I had a small crack between valves, but it was just cosmetic... (that engine is still running in my 82 brat....)