Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing belt cover removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dashton

dashton

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Springville, Utah

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:08 PM

Pulled into the driveway yesterday and noticed my ’90 legacy is dripping a little coolant from the water pump. Seems to be coming from the gasket between the pump and block. I’ve found all the info I need to repair it, but first I need to figure out how to get the covers off the timing belt. I tried to remove the two outer covers to check the belt a few weeks ago, and every single screw was frozen and just broke the inserts loose in the plastic covers. Is there an easy way to get the screws out without destroying the two covers? I really don’t want to replace them. Right now I can turn the screws all day long and the inserts just spin in place. I’ve also tried prying the covers off (since the inserts are loose), but they feel like they’ll break if I pull too hard. Any suggestions? Thanks. Dave

#2 lefty42303

lefty42303

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Kentucky

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:41 PM

I had same problem on my JL2.2. I pried the outside covers apart with screwdrivers. The cover split at the inserts when the inserts pulled out of the plastic. When I went back together I just used machine screws with washers to hold the covers in place. The gasket around the middle covers were swollen and wouldn't go back in place. I trimmed them for best fit with no problems since.

Lefty42303

#3 RodA2003

RodA2003

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • CA, USA

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

I think I drilled a small hole at right angles to the axis of the bolt. It went through the plastic and part way into the nut, but not into the bolt. I the drove a rivet nail into the hole to stop the nut from turning while I unscrewed the bolt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users