Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulled into the driveway yesterday and noticed my ’90 legacy is dripping a little coolant from the water pump. Seems to be coming from the gasket between the pump and block. I’ve found all the info I need to repair it, but first I need to figure out how to get the covers off the timing belt. I tried to remove the two outer covers to check the belt a few weeks ago, and every single screw was frozen and just broke the inserts loose in the plastic covers. Is there an easy way to get the screws out without destroying the two covers? I really don’t want to replace them. Right now I can turn the screws all day long and the inserts just spin in place. I’ve also tried prying the covers off (since the inserts are loose), but they feel like they’ll break if I pull too hard. Any suggestions? Thanks. Dave

I had same problem on my JL2.2. I pried the outside covers apart with screwdrivers. The cover split at the inserts when the inserts pulled out of the plastic. When I went back together I just used machine screws with washers to hold the covers in place. The gasket around the middle covers were swollen and wouldn't go back in place. I trimmed them for best fit with no problems since.

Lefty42303

I think I drilled a small hole at right angles to the axis of the bolt. It went through the plastic and part way into the nut, but not into the bolt. I the drove a rivet nail into the hole to stop the nut from turning while I unscrewed the bolt.