Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New and need some help with a lift and info

so im 17 about to graduate...i love my baby(92 subaru loyale)but she isnt pushing enough when i go off roading...i am temped in doing away with her and getting a first gen 4runner like all my buds...but i really want to put a 4 inch lift redrill a spare set of hubs and make it a 6 lug...so im in spokane wa and i wanted to know if anyone can help me with this project...heres the lift i want to buy and the guy said hed do 500$(http://sosfab.com/Testimonials.html) thats the lift but i want to know what else i need to do to her to lift her up.....also here the hub drill im gonna do(http://offroadingsubarus.com/6stud_conversion.html)

so if you all can help it will be very much appreciated ...heres pics of my baby in action

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/dannoo93/

Hi and Welcome to the USMB.

you will want to do a bit of searching - mostly in "older gen" as that is where your Loyale falls, and probably in the "off roading" section as well.

Just be aware that you will not get a lot of horsepower out of your Loyale - not what they were designed for, you can, however, keep up with your "buds" on the trails (and maybe even outdo them) if you take the time to do things right.

Learn to use the search function - it is your friend - and most of all have fun!

oh, and be patient - it takes more than 10 minutes to get an answer - especially at 1:30 in the morning....

Just so you know, the EA82 turbos are not looked upon fondly - they tend to be more trouble than they are worth and not that much more HP...

(just do a search on EA82T - you will see what i mean)

if you REALLY want to get more HP - upgrade to a NA EJ22 - excellent motor, easy to work on, readily available and there is an adapter plate for the tranny already out there for doing the swap - does require a bit of wiring work tho. :rolleyes:

well can you tell me this would this be a good buy and how hard would it be to fix a head gasket

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2402736287.html

that's not really a great option. the turbo EA engines really don't make that much more power actually than the non turbo's - but have tons more headaches. i'd rather keep the low powered loyale than get into a problem child EA82T. unfortunately that's one of the lower end subaru motors, it's got fairly bad track record for reliability, they blow up all the time.

the headgasket can be done in the car easily. it's a nasty job and i consider these old cars not worth it personally. fix it - sell it to make enough money to buy an EJ cheap that needs some work! :lol:

they can be reliable if everything is new - turbo, oil and coolant lines, fittings, hoses, clamps, seals, gaskets, etc - it's just a lot of effort to replace all of those little things on such an old and worthless vehicle.

it can work if you want to do it and can be a nice ride, but it's not really all that ideal or an improvement over the loyale. in my opinion what you gain in power you loose in reliability/maintenance.

sorry for asking a lot of questions but what model subaru does the NA EJ22 come out of i couldnt find it ....im not gonna lie im learning as i go im not the best with cars but its better to learn myself rather than paysomeone and not learn

Welcome to the boards. (local Spokane guy here)

If you get one from pull 'n' save, you can pull the wiring harness (which you will need). It would be a good learning process for you. Plus, engines at PNS are cheap. The problem with this route is...you have no guarantee of any quality of the engine. Could have internal problems. They do have a 30 day return policy, but pulling/re-installing, etc. is a lot of trouble to go to.

Buy yourself a legacy parts car... (maybe even an EJ22 engine vehicle?) so you can take the stuff out from the same car when you need it.

Search for info on the swap and learn it well :)

Lifts can come from Mike in Wilsonville OR (username: Michael Appel) or from SJR in Bellingham WA (username: Scott In Bellingham)

One person to talk to, that I would recommend is Spencer, username OBK25XT. He has a Loyale wagon with an EJ22, built to the teeth... This car is a beast offroad, might ask for some info on his car, it is for sale, so theres some info in his for sale posting, but you could build this out of your loyale, and your 4 runner buddies will be jealous...

Welcome aboard, nice Loyale! Looks like its a great little ride!

sorry for asking a lot of questions but what model subaru does the NA EJ22 come out of i couldnt find it ....im not gonna lie im learning as i go im not the best with cars but its better to learn myself rather than paysomeone and not learn

no need to be sorry - we were all pretty much in your shoes once upon a time. :grin: asking is how we learn. you have the right attitude - learn how yourself and save yourself both time and money in the long run. I am 47 and still learning things ;)

yes, the EJ22 is out of the Legacy lineup - 1990 thru early 1996 are non-interference, meaning if you break the timing belt there is no internal damage. throw a new timing set at it and off you go.

late 96 (97 my) and beyond are interference - they can, and usually do, have internal damage if they break a belt, so my vote goes to the earlier ones - just my preference tho.

( btw - NA stands for "naturally aspirated" - meaning non-turbo)

where you get one depends a lot on your area - if you have a pull-n-save - go for it - not all of us are that lucky. heck, the junkyards around here dont keep much of anything beyond 10 yrs old! so finding parts for our older cars is no easy job.

honestly - for your learning purposes, i would just stick with what you have for the moment - get to know it well, take care of it and save your pennies for future upgrades. even tho it is not a big power house, that old Loyale can be a lot of fun, and it will be cheaper to run that your buddy's 4 runners will be :grin:

do your homework on the lift stuff - there have been a lot of guys that have done it before you - learn from them what works and what doesnt. read, read, read some more - ask questions if something isnt clear to you. then read some more. i know - a lot of reading :rolleyes: - but you can learn a lot by reading carefully, make sure you understand what you are reading. it will pay off in the end.

should make no difference if it is wagon or sedan - motor is the same for all intents and purposes.

there are some minor differences between manual and automatic - like the fuel injectors - for some reason they are different between automatic and manual

Stick will be easier, seriously though, go to the retrofitting forum and read the EJ swap FAQ, it will save you time not having to ask every single question at once.

There is also a really good FAQ in the offroad forum as well.

Welcome aboard

Stick will be easier, seriously though, go to the retrofitting forum and read the EJ swap FAQ, it will save you time not having to ask every single question at once.

There is also a really good FAQ in the offroad forum as well.

Welcome aboard

Read these threads. The whole threads from start to finish. Most of what you're asking is in these posts.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69741

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114050

enjoy!

no need to be sorry - we were all pretty much in your shoes once upon a time. :grin: asking is how we learn. you have the right attitude - learn how yourself and save yourself both time and money in the long run. I am 47 and still learning things ;)

yes, the EJ22 is out of the Legacy lineup - 1990 thru early 1996 are non-interference, meaning if you break the timing belt there is no internal damage. throw a new timing set at it and off you go.

late 96 (97 my) and beyond are interference - they can, and usually do, have internal damage if they break a belt, so my vote goes to the earlier ones - just my preference tho.

( btw - NA stands for "naturally aspirated" - meaning non-turbo)

where you get one depends a lot on your area - if you have a pull-n-save - go for it - not all of us are that lucky. heck, the junkyards around here dont keep much of anything beyond 10 yrs old! so finding parts for our older cars is no easy job.

honestly - for your learning purposes, i would just stick with what you have for the moment - get to know it well, take care of it and save your pennies for future upgrades. even tho it is not a big power house, that old Loyale can be a lot of fun, and it will be cheaper to run that your buddy's 4 runners will be :grin:

do your homework on the lift stuff - there have been a lot of guys that have done it before you - learn from them what works and what doesnt. read, read, read some more - ask questions if something isnt clear to you. then read some more. i know - a lot of reading :rolleyes: - but you can learn a lot by reading carefully, make sure you understand what you are reading. it will pay off in the end.

+1000

What they said! :grin: Glad to hear you've seen the light and you want to learn for yourself. That's great! I probably know less about this stuff than even you do... but as far as wagon or sedan... living in Spokane and likely utilizing PnS often, I'd recommend a wagon. They seem much more prevalent in there so if you're needing parts, that's your best bet. I have a 93 Loyale and I've gone in there a few times for stuff. :) Welcome to the Board!