Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap is done but it wont start!

I got the new EA81 in and it will turn and sometimes sound like its gonna start but more often it will cough through the tube that run from the sides of the engine to the carb/airbox. It keeps spitting back up through the carb and kicking out a puff of blueish smoke through the carb.

Any ideas? I need help ASAP

My chilton manual was 100% wrong on what was the #1 cylender. I called my super subaru repair guy and corrected me on that. I made tha change and it started right up. Only thing left to do now is get my SUPER LOUD EXHAUST fixed.

Anyone know of a good exhaust place in the seattle area????

Noah,

Be carefull when you are doing this... that backfiring actually lit my airfilter on fire. Good thing I had a hose handy :D

What I did was pulled the passenger side front plug, stuck my finger over the plug hole, then with a wrench turned the engine untill I felt air pressure escaping past my finger. That should be TDC (or close to it). Then lift your distributor up a little so the teath aren't engaging the engines gears anymore. Then take the cap off and turn the rotor untill it is over the plug that has the wire running to that cylender. Slide the distributor back down, replace your plug and wire... then if you have the same luck as me it will fire up. You should be close enough there to be able to time it after that.

Good luck!

Thats what i wanted to hear, i think that last time i tried this build i had it out 180, or had the wires swaped, 3,4 backwards so it only fired on 1,2 so i'm thinking that my timing may be off by 180, but i can't try to test it until sunday when i get back to michigan.

the #1 cylinder is on the passenger side front. the distributor turns counter clockwise. firing order is 1324. there is a rubber plug on the bellhousing that can be removed to access the timing marks on the flywheel. line up the rotor to #1 cyl. the

timing should be 8 deg. btdc