Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 95 Legacy wagon will turn 200,000 miles in a few weeks. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, so I'm due now. I was thinking it would be a good idea ot run an engine flush to get all of the gunk out and I've heard it's best to take out off the oil pan when you do this to give it a thorough cleaning. (You put the stuff in, run the engine for a few minutes, then drain it). I should have a new gasket by tomorrow, so I think I'm good as far as parts go. My Haynes manual says that I'll have to raise the engine a couple of inches, but an earlier thread didn't mention this. The extent of my mechanical experience is changing tires, headlight bulbs, and oil changes. Am I getting in over my head? If it matters, it's the 2.2L with a 5 speed and AWD.

Adam

I wouldnt mess with it. Use an engine oil with a detergent in it like Mobil or Valvoline and it won't ever really get that dirty inside. If you have oil leaks, then take the pan off and put a new gasket on but honestly I won't mess with an oil pan unless its leaking and I don't use miracle in a can type stuff in engine oil.

I agree with Shawn also leave it alone. However I dont agree with the last part of his comment, I love the Gold Eagle stop leak, I found it to be the miracle in the plastic can. And my 2.2 is closing in on 300,000 miles. It stopped the rear engine seal leak at around 100,000 and I have never had to change a cam seal, since using it. Who has ever won a law suit against Gold Eagle for damage to any engine? (If you do take that pan off be careful the pan bolts will break very easy when you put them back in.)

Yeah, oil pans are too strange. You have to keep everything absolutely clean and then you need to torque all of the pan bolts to a spec that's generally lower than what most torque wrenches measure, and if the pan doesn't seat correctly, you're in for more trouble than you already have (basically none?).

No, I say save your money, throw a can of 4cyl. Engine Restore in it every time you change the oil (it's about $6 for this, a small silver can filled with blue goo to be used as an oil additive on high-mileage cars. I've used the stuff on every Japanese car I've owned and they all have loved it) and get ready to start fixing the big stuff. At that age, the ruitine maintenance is about all you can do, intrusive repairs/preventitive work generally just causes mroe trouble.