Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 timing Belts - Thanks!!!!

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply to my call for help.

For the record:

I had fully retracted and locked the tensioner. It was a two person job.

The belts were Beck Arnley aftermarket. I chose them because they carry a lifetime guarantee. I really don't want to be doing this again anytime soon.

The belts were routed correctly, but the pictures provided and some of the comments pointed out my error. The sequence of installation really does matter. I was mentally stuck on getting the belt on over the tensioner last. That won't work. there isn't enough slack to get over the lip.

When I saw the beveled face of the cam sprockets, things started making sense. If you save the cam for last it's not hard at all.

Both belts went on in about 10 minutes today.

I did notice a big difference between the two tensioner springs. The drivers side spring was much stiffer than the passenger side.

Thanks again for the help.

Alan

:)

The belts were Beck Arnley aftermarket. I chose them because they carry a lifetime guarantee. I really don't want to be doing this again anytime soon.

Every 50-55000 miles.. or they wil break.. Lifetime guarantee or not.. they are designed to be replaced as a regular maintenance item.