Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 OEM piston ring set

I have a set NIB ea71 pistons with wrists and rings, packaged in wax paper, and the rings in cellophane. If the diameter of the rings work, you might be able to use it.

They are in a box like they came in the mail. Let me know if this is useful for you.

I have a good block with about 100k on it that set for for close to five years. Number 2 on a leak down test leaked into the crank case. I think the rings are just stuck. I haven taken the pistons out yet because I'm waiting on a 14 mm hex to take the plugs out. Do you think if I soak the cylinders in sea foam they will unstick the rings? I'm trying to do this on a poor mans budget so the cheapest way I can get away with and still have an ok engine is my goal.

Miles how could I tell the diameter of the rings. I know the piston has to be out. Do you measure with a caliper?

I was going by knowing what the engines had for size, like the engine specs, 92mm bore or whatever. I think the ea71 pistons are the same diameter as ea81/ea82 but the stroke is different.

I like your idea of freeing the stuck rings. I would suggest marvels mystery oil. I want to try it on a toyota van with a stuck ring.

I once had a carb soob engine with a stuck piston. I soaked the cylinders overnite in PB, and the next day or 2, removed the ehads, and whacked the pistons with a block of wood and a hammer, and freed it up.

Then we put turbo heads on it and ran it in a rx for 10,000 miles. That very same block is running in the monsterwedge on the xt forums to this day, from at east 6 years ago

I did get the #1 pinion pin plug out with the 14 mm bolt trick put the others are really in there good and tight. I'm soaking them now with PB blaster until I can get the 14 mm hex on a 1/2" drive socket.

The #1 piston rings were stuck a little to, The oil ring was really bad but some pb loosened them up enough to remove them from the piston. I'm soaking the piston and removed rings in Transmission fluid to see if that removes the carbon and oil crud from the ring groves.

Next question is when I reinstall the pistons how do you keep the connecting rod in place to put the pinion pin back in.

Miles shoot me a pm for a price on those rings you have please.

The #1 piston rings were stuck a little to, The oil ring was really bad but some pb loosened them up enough to remove them from the piston. I'm soaking the piston and removed rings in Transmission fluid to see if that removes the carbon and oil crud from the ring groves.

Hi,

Don't know if you've been here before but...don't take any "meat" whatsoever out of the ring grooves. I soak the pistons in a gallon of carb cleaner until the crud disolves. Well, and I use an oak groove cleaner I made for the jobs.

hth

Doug

If you need a set of good aftermarket rings, I can point you in that direction. The EA-71 top ring is 2 mm. Won't fit an EA-82. "

Subaru Brat and 1600 GL & DL with 1595cc EA71 engine 1976 - 1981; ring dimensions are 2.00x2.00x4.00"

Edited by Quidam

Hi,

Wrong set. He needs 1.2 top ring, 1.5 second. I've used these before:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beck-Arnley-013-8200-Premium-Piston-Rings-/160582845290?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALoyale&hash=item25637bc36a

Made in Japan.

Doug

Don't I feel like an idiot. I just checked the listing that I gave you and it was the wrong one. The correct one is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NPR-Piston-Ring-Set-/390324141002?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALoyale&hash=item5ae121bbca

Not sure what happened, gut these are good rings at a good price.

Nice catch on the wrong rings.

Sorry.