Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Might be buying a 1978 4X4 wagon

Ive been looking into the green 78 4X4 on Portland Craigslist for my dad.

I have some qualifications that it will have to have/things done.

Swaps:

EA71 motor is completely disassembled, debating if I should do the EA71 or if I should swap an EA81 or EA82 into it (My dad can handle the power of these responsibly and the more get up and go it has the better, on the cheap end, thats why no EJ swap) I will be putting a Weber 32/36 DGEV on it of course!

4 Speed D/R to a 5 Speed D/R - Advantages? Disadvantages? Plug and Play?

Ill probably keep the interior as it is, depending on its condition, I suppose I might swap in other seats just for comfort if I find them cheap enough.

This could start to be the build thread, going to talk to the current owner more and if my dad can fund it I will pick it up, fix it and then drive it down to him.

No matter what - this has to pass California State Emissions, he's moving to Monterey California and has been car-less since he gave me his Loyale in November 2 years ago so I think this is a good way to pay him back :)

Not a bad learning experience either :banana:

Here are picks - i'd been eyeing it for awhile: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2439328999.html

If you change from the ea71 you will have to swap the trans as well - the bell housings are different. If you go to a 5 speed you will need a custom driveshaft. If you go to a 4 speed d/r you will have to go to an ea81 due to bellhousing/motor mating differences. If you want to swap it the best way is to just ej22 it and be done with it, but then you have to notch the framerails....

Oh, you'll never pass California emission with a weber. So, wait to swap on a weber until after it has passed Cali emissions.

Hope this was somewhat helpful and good luck! It looks to be a fun project