Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

High Oil Pressure...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Just got the Brat running... runs great BUT the oil pressure is high (60 at idle, pegged at 75 when driving).

I don't know if there is a way to adjust it OR is it likely a faulty sending unit.

I know how to deal with low pressure... just not high pressure.

Thanks...

Edited by tundrabrat, 24 June 2011 - 02:53 AM.

#2 Subarule

Subarule

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Southwest WA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

Don't know what year & engine you have but what you describe is normal for my car. It's an '86 GL and I bought it new off a Sube dealer's car lot in '86. It's running very sweet and no oil issues ever with it. Idle oil pressure is about 65 and driving pressure goes up into the 70s. Not a problem. I see it as a plus.

#3 tundrabrat

tundrabrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:54 AM

That makes me feel better, thanks.

#4 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,740 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

the stock gauges are not known for being ultra accurate.

My question would be what weight oil are you running? - different oil weights will give very different readings in the same car

#5 Subarule

Subarule

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Southwest WA

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

I've always run 10-40.

#6 Suba_GL_87

Suba_GL_87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Central Oregon, Oregonian

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:45 AM

i think you was over tight oil filter. need little tight 3/4 turn and see a little drip oil. because of need a air oil pressure out.

I was have a problem with my oil pressure highly to 90...cuz i was stupid do over-tight from oil filter. :rolleyes:
best luck.
Cruz

oil must be on 5-30 for EA81/82 and save money your fuel economy.

#7 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

What exactly are you saying? Are you really saying you should leave the oil filter loose so it leaks :eek:

#8 ihscout54

ihscout54

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Prescott, AZ

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

What exactly are you saying? Are you really saying you should leave the oil filter loose so it leaks

I was a lost on that too.

Oil brand/type/viscosity is almost like a political debate with car guys, everyone has their own set of religious standards. BUT our owners manuals disagree on the 5w30 for ea81/82, unless its really cold. It flat out states in all manuals Ive seen that "5W-30 is not recommended for sustained high speed driving". Perhapse overseas that is not the case but why risk troubles? I live in the desert South West and I only run 20W-50 in my EA-81's.
I have also found the high oil pressure thing to be pretty common on these, especially if you only take short trips.

#9 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

You can't judge high or low oil pressure from the stock gauge. If that's what you get your readings from, you have no grounds to state you have an oil pressure problem. My oil pressure gauge always reads something, and moves when I rev the enigne. That's about all I use it for. If it drops to zero I'll be worried, but otherwise they're useless for any accurate readings.

It's really doubtful you have high oil pressure anyway, if the engine runs well and doesn't make any bad noises it's probably fine..

#10 Suba_GL_87

Suba_GL_87

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Central Oregon, Oregonian

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

use a common sense.
do not over tight of oil filter, thats would be cause high oil pressure.
just do a little tighty and see A LITTLE drop oil...not a leakkyy/drip oil.

What exactly are you saying? Are you really saying you should leave the oil filter loose so it leaks :eek:

#11 zacyork

zacyork

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • southern oregon

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

use a common sense.
do not over tight of oil filter, thats would be cause high oil pressure.
just do a little tighty and see A LITTLE drop oil...not a leakkyy/drip oil.

where have you heard oil filters that are put on too tight cause high oil pressure? i am an automotive technitian and have never heard of this. putting them on too tight just makes it frustrating the next time you gotta take it off. it can olso ruin the gasket causing a leak.

#12 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

I don't usually call bull************. But, putting on the filter too tight will not cause high oil pressure.
As zacyork said it just makes it a pain to get off..

Putting it on too loose will cause it to fall off. And that causes low oil pressure...

#13 Rollerball

Rollerball

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • West Richland

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

I just had my oil pressure sending unit gauge replaced.

My reading are similar as posts above. I'm about 65 at idle and around 70-75 at during driving.

I had the same readings before just a really bad leak from the gasket on the sending unit.

Rollerball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users