Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Oil Pressure...

Just got the Brat running... runs great BUT the oil pressure is high (60 at idle, pegged at 75 when driving).

I don't know if there is a way to adjust it OR is it likely a faulty sending unit.

I know how to deal with low pressure... just not high pressure.

Thanks...

Edited by tundrabrat

Don't know what year & engine you have but what you describe is normal for my car. It's an '86 GL and I bought it new off a Sube dealer's car lot in '86. It's running very sweet and no oil issues ever with it. Idle oil pressure is about 65 and driving pressure goes up into the 70s. Not a problem. I see it as a plus.

i think you was over tight oil filter. need little tight 3/4 turn and see a little drip oil. because of need a air oil pressure out.

I was have a problem with my oil pressure highly to 90...cuz i was stupid do over-tight from oil filter. :rolleyes:

best luck.

Cruz

oil must be on 5-30 for EA81/82 and save money your fuel economy.

What exactly are you saying? Are you really saying you should leave the oil filter loose so it leaks

I was a lost on that too.

Oil brand/type/viscosity is almost like a political debate with car guys, everyone has their own set of religious standards. BUT our owners manuals disagree on the 5w30 for ea81/82, unless its really cold. It flat out states in all manuals Ive seen that "5W-30 is not recommended for sustained high speed driving". Perhapse overseas that is not the case but why risk troubles? I live in the desert South West and I only run 20W-50 in my EA-81's.

I have also found the high oil pressure thing to be pretty common on these, especially if you only take short trips.

You can't judge high or low oil pressure from the stock gauge. If that's what you get your readings from, you have no grounds to state you have an oil pressure problem. My oil pressure gauge always reads something, and moves when I rev the enigne. That's about all I use it for. If it drops to zero I'll be worried, but otherwise they're useless for any accurate readings.

It's really doubtful you have high oil pressure anyway, if the engine runs well and doesn't make any bad noises it's probably fine..

use a common sense.

do not over tight of oil filter, thats would be cause high oil pressure.

just do a little tighty and see A LITTLE drop oil...not a leakkyy/drip oil.

What exactly are you saying? Are you really saying you should leave the oil filter loose so it leaks :eek:
  • Confused 1

use a common sense.

do not over tight of oil filter, thats would be cause high oil pressure.

just do a little tighty and see A LITTLE drop oil...not a leakkyy/drip oil.

where have you heard oil filters that are put on too tight cause high oil pressure? i am an automotive technitian and have never heard of this. putting them on too tight just makes it frustrating the next time you gotta take it off. it can olso ruin the gasket causing a leak.

I don't usually call bull************. But, putting on the filter too tight will not cause high oil pressure.

As zacyork said it just makes it a pain to get off..

Putting it on too loose will cause it to fall off. And that causes low oil pressure...

• Like 1

I just had my oil pressure sending unit gauge replaced.

My reading are similar as posts above. I'm about 65 at idle and around 70-75 at during driving.

I had the same readings before just a really bad leak from the gasket on the sending unit.

Rollerball

• 10 years later...

Coming in to this thread ten years late, but here's a reminder to any n00bs like myself that find this. High oil pressure is normal if your car has sat for a long time or, in my case, you've done something like an engine swap and you've got cold oil. Let the oil warm up and see the oil pressure go down.

Thanks to Justin my faithful mechanic always ready to answer a dumb question.