Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber air cleaner alternative?

My '84 GL is now sporting a new DGEV Weber. I purchased a Redline kit.

Ive got it all dialed in, running fantastic.

But I have come to the conclusion that the air cleaner/filter assembly that came with it is garbage. The air cleaner base is too small for the filter, so, the filter doesnt even sit properly in the air cleaner.

Ive also never been fond of K&N style filters. I would much prefer a paper filter or a foam filter with a wrap/cover.

Ive done a good deal of searching on the web for alternatives, but have come up short.

Have you found a good alternative? It sucks to have such a nice carb, only to top it off with a shoddy filter.:rolleyes:

I have the tall filter assembly and the filter would basically collapse inward deform shape and not sit tight.

I trimmed up some packing foam stuff (like computers are shipped with) and then glued it to the inside of the filter so it is being pressed outward on the housing and no problems with it for 12k miles.

Look for aircleaners for old Fords, like Pinto. Even Chevy Vega and some Dodge cars. 70's 80's. Some of the 4 cyl cars used the holley 5200 version carb so the air cleaners will fit. The only problem may be hood clearance.

The years and models of those cars was posted on this forum years ago, that's how I know it :grin:. But It may not be here now.

You'll know which ones buy that oval shape of the mounting area.

I used to have one, since I feel the same way about K&N filters. It was a Fram filter that came with the paper filter and the air cleaner housing.

Here's an AC Delco one on Ebay just so you know what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-DELCO-A595C-Air-Cleaner-Housing-N-O-S-/220735416348?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3364db281c

Also try sites that are for the old Ford and Chevy straight sixs, Like Fordsix.com or Langdons Stovebolt. Those guys use webers too.

I have run webers with the std redlline filter on soobs in the past without giving it much thought when I lived on the wet side of Wa.

Recently put a weber on an 84 civic, and when reading up on tuning it found a number of people not happy with the filtering ability of the supplied filter. One suggestion was to smear a dab of grease in your intake just below the carb, the idea being in time to dismount the weber and run your finger in it. Supposedly there will be a good amount of grit in there.

Might be worth doing.

I like those foam spacers to push out the walls though-

Am I the only one who is thinking it may not be an amazing idea to put foam or anything that can get sucked into your intake inside your filter? I cut a plate and converted a round air cleaner to fit the weber I had in my old VW. It would be cool to see a stock air cleaner modded to fit the weber too.

I have had mine superglued there over 12k miles no issues. when i ditch this filter for new i will reglue the old foam and use it again.

I am due for a new filter. I also wish i could put the stock aircleaner onto the weber, for a stock look.

I also wish i could put the stock aircleaner onto the weber, for a stock look.

After having zero luck finding a half-way decent alternative, this is exactly what I intend to do.

A simple plate to bolt to the top of the carb with a stand-off box that will bolt to the factory air cleaner.

This will also allow me to use the factory intake pre-heater as well. Looking at the setup right now I fear how bad it would perform come winter time.

After having zero luck finding a half-way decent alternative, this is exactly what I intend to do.

A simple plate to bolt to the top of the carb with a stand-off box that will bolt to the factory air cleaner.

This will also allow me to use the factory intake pre-heater as well. Looking at the setup right now I fear how bad it would perform come winter time.

I've seen this done before over on ausubi - I can't for the life of me find any pics or details though. I reckon this would be the way to go - stock look if a quick look under the bonnet is done by the constabulary, so nothing obvious to defect on if that's an issue.

Cheers

Bennie

need to keep this thread going........for me.........either order new filter as is, or convert back to stock filter kidney... i can do it.

but it may take some time, cause a weber to stock blue kidney filter has not been done. and did you see my pm on your right head breather? cause that was all wrong. did you look intto that .

brent

beers

Fine, Ill fabricate an adapter to run the factory air cleaner. Ill even be nice and show you guys photos :lol:

Brent, there is nothing wrong with my PCV setup. It is considered an "open PCV" setup, and people have been running it this way for more than 40 years with no problems. PCV draws crankcase fumes from the drivers side valve cover, and fresh filtered air is provided by the passenger side.

Though when I fit a factory air cleaner onto this weber, that PCV setup will be going back to "stock".

I don't have any tips for y'all but I used to run 45mmDCOE's on a BMW 2002. Had the same problem with them. Evey once in a while I'd put the velocity stacks on to play and man did that thing sound sweet at 7500 grand, those Webers just screamed.

need to keep this thread going........for me.........either order new filter as is, or convert back to stock filter kidney... i can do it.

but it may take some time, cause a weber to stock blue kidney filter has not been done. and did you see my pm on your right head breather? cause that was all wrong. did you look intto that .

brent

beers

actually i had one years ago.It was done by brazing a base plate onto the stock kidney.I wish i could say i made it, but it was a junkyard score.

I gave it to a kid on here once.I think the one o traded Lilly off to..

I'll see if i can find a pic, but it would be a longshot if i did...

cheers

This is a common problem on the Redline Air Cleaner kit and the elements aren't K&N filters either, they're cheap chinese knock-offs..seriously, they're not real K&N's. The real K&N's don't bend in like this and the filter element doesn't wave in the seal.

Some of the local circle track guys that run Webers bend a piece of coat hanger around to line the inside and hold it out. Just bending the crap out of it in the direction it needed to go worked for me. Some come really F'd up and some have a slight curve. Using the taller element really helps too, the 1 7/8" tall one is too small for a 1.8L, if you ask me. When you mash the skinny, it can become a restriction and create a vacuum pulling it in.

I like the modded stock air cleaner ettev!