Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber air cleaner alternative?

Here we go!

I was able to get 20 minutes or so work done on this new adapter this morning. We have company coming over for the holiday weekend, so I doubt Ill get back to it for another week or so. But at least Ive got a start!

Starting with some scrap flat steel I found in my steel pile, I layed it all out.

The adapter will be a simple box, cut and trimmed to fit the profile of the bottom of the factory air cleaner.

I used the redline kit filter base as a template. Also, it might be hard to see, but the opening to fit over the carb is rotated a bit within this new box that will be built. This will allow the air cleaner to sit straight in the engine bay.

RUweber10.jpg

The sheet of steel was then taken to the drill press to fill it with holes. All of the concave cuts within the carb cutout were drilles, mounting bolt holes were drilled, and relief-cut holes were drilled to assist in bending the sides up when ready.

One thing I dont have is a metal brake. So the relief holes are a must to keep things true when bending.

After that, the plate was test fit to the carb.

RUweber12.jpg

Thats as far as i got today.

So far so good:eek:

I think so!

So to recap....

From this:

RUweber09.jpg

to this:

RUweber12.jpg

and eventually to this. And considering Ill have to weld to the air cleaner base, and paint will be ruined, Im considering color matching the air cleaner to the body color. :)

RU04.jpg

And it will only be the underside anyway - just rust proof and no one will be any the wiser about what's lurking under it without a closet inspection ;) I say keep it blue - that's what the EA81 air filter is meant to be...

Cheers

Bennie

I do not think you would absolutely need to weld, why not epoxy, rivets, screws, etc...

When you have a welder, you always "need' to use it ! :grin:

Good work!

The paper air filter is a better choice. Use a good brand with quality media and your engine will last a lot longer. Even considering the debate on restriction of paper verses cotton, the large surface area of the paper element over that small crap cotton one still provides more than enough airflow.

Did Subaru use a bigger filter on the dual carb engines?

Yes, 'have welder- will weld"

:)

Plus, I do not want to have to rely on some sort of sealant or epoxy to seal the joint between the adapter and the air cleaner.

I think I will keep it blue. Anybody know of an off the shelf blue that is close? Or am I going to have to have some color matched?

Well I managed to sneak back into the shop today. Got another 20 minutes or so work done, right before the fire-work party.

Things went pretty well. Im pleased so far. :banana:

The adapter plate will be pretty low profile. Enough that even a trained eye familiar with Subarus wont see it at first or even second glance.

Though once they realize that this carb is a weber, it will be obvious that something is different.. :lol:

And until I prep the air cleaner and apply the first spot weld, I really have no idea how well this old steel will weld. I may just spot weld it together well, and seal the seams with epoxy. We will have to wait and see.

RUweber13.jpg

RUweber14.jpg

RUweber15.jpg

RUweber16.jpg

Looking awesome Idasho!

Should do the job VERY well. You should be pleased thus far!

I can't wait to see it completed and painted ;) I still don't think you need the blue paint as you won't be welding the sides or lid - unless I've missed something in your design...

Cheers

Bennie

Good Job, Well Done!

... It sucks to have such a nice carb, only to top it off with a shoddy filter. :rolleyes:

I Agree!

is Amazing how "Stock" Looks your Subie's Engine bay with the Subaru Air Filter Box Hiding the Weber...

Could I Ask you Something? ... I am Curious about How the Subaru Air Filter Box Changes the Engine Sound
(Boxer Engine Rumble) Comin' thru the Weber at Full Throttle, 'cos the Weber with its Small and Square Filter does make those EA Engines to Sound Very Loud at Full Throttle... and That's Something that I Like Very Much! :brow:

So, the Question is: How that Subaru Air Filter Box affects the "Loudness" of the Full Throttle Weber?

Kind Regards.
Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

thats a good question. And one I will answer later on. I have yet to even start the car after the swap. I had to remove the lower air filter gasket in in order to to the welding and complete the re-paint properly. And the sealant to hold the gasket is currently curing.

I still need to sort out the PCV lines, as I had them routed for the weber. They will be going back to their stock connections. I also need to plug the two large ports that supplied filtered air to the air injection (exhaust) system. For now the ports are simply electrical taped closed.

Ill have an update for you later this week.

Yeah mate!!

The only thing I can tell is different is the front of the weber that's poking out to say a quiet "hello, I am under here!" :D

Good stuff.

Also, I'm not sure that the air intake will change much of the note from the engine, you might notice less intake noise though...

Cheers

Bennie

Time for a quick update.

Weber power is there.

Weber wide open throttle noise is still there, though a good bit less noisy.

And that lovely accelerator pump gargle at throttle tip in is gone, running the factory air cleaner.

Im happy. I HATED that gargle. :lol:

This evening I spent a few moments hooking up the PCV hoses. Now I just have the two large air injection ports to plug. Ill have to find some caps for those.

The GL is almost due for a wash. I think this sunday Ill give it a good bath and vac, and Ill post some more pictures of the aircleaner retrofit. :)

...Weber wide open throttle noise is still there, though a good bit less noisy...

Thank you for your Answer...

Congratulations!!! ... You've done a Good Job with that Aircleaner Retrofit, I Hope to see Pictures of the finished job Soon.

Kind Regards.
Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Here is a quick walk-around guys. Though youtube really tossed the video quality into the ************ter. It was uploaded directly from my Iphone.

And please dont mind the camera-man. This is the first time using the video cam on my phone.... lol

Ill get some better photos later. The wife ran off with the digital camera...

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bumping up an older thread

You have a lift.... I didn't account for that.

Is it just suspension or do you have subframe spacers? I just finished making a stock box fit a weber. Turns out I made it as low to the carb as I could, and due to the weber sitting much higher, my filter box now hits my hood. So having subframe spacers would explain why yours clears. Looks like I'll be making more modifications if I can. Anyway great work and a great idea I love the noise it makes now that is for sure!