Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2WD Turbo 5 Speed Syncros?

I have an 86 gl 10 Two wheel drive wagon EA 82 and 1st and 2nd gear are getting tough to go into gear.

Doe's anyone know where I can find a syncro kit?

Also one of the bearings has a double bearing with a four hole mounting bracket attached to it that is bad.

Please ket me know .:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

As I just posted the solution for syncros in another thread the teeth if damaged can be dressed up and you have the brass cones bead blasted and the matching sections of the gears after covering up those area's you don't want bead blasted,make sure they just use normal glass beads for the best results.

This treatment gives a nice satin finish to the parts and they work a treat once again for many years.

We have been doing this for years sucessfully in a range of Rally Car gearboxes here in Sydney Australia and it saves you a fortune,we have done it to Datsun Z cars,510's Silvia's Toyota's including the triple cone GT$ AWD boxes as well as many Subaru and others it just plain works Cheers.

I've seen a number of syncro's where the teeth on the ID of the syncro are so bad they are almost flattened out - there is no amount of dressing that will repair that. Just an FYI - they can't *always* be saved.

I would just find a used transmission - a 2WD box isn't worth rebuilding. Or convert the car to AWD.....

GD