Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I finally got rid of my GL a few months ago and upgraded to a 91 Legacy wagon. I got a really great deal on it, but figured out that it will need a transmission fix soon like all of those A/T's.

I'm starting to feel some binding and sometimes some hesitation in power transfer. I'm wondering how long I can drive it before it becomes undrivable and what happens when it finally breaks?

I need it to last a little longer as I am strapped for cash.

Also does anyone out there know of anyone in the Bellingham, WA area that might do a better job than others or give me a better deal? I hope I don't have to bring it to the dealership.

Thanks a bunch, Rashaan.

Originally posted by snotrocket

Or put a fuse in the "FWD" terminal under the hood and cruise in 2wd until you can fix it.

Does this fuse make a subie front wheel drive only?

I wonder if there is some way to wire this up to a switch so you could have selectabel AWD? Then you could run in 2wd for gas savings??

DO NOT drive with the fuse in, it is only intended for diagnostic purposes. I drove with the fuse in for a few days, and everthing was fine, then one day my car would not go faster than 10-15 mph, had I known at the time, I would have just pulled the fuse out, but I didnt so I had it flatbedded home. Get the CLUTCH PACK replaced and you should be fine.

91 sedan Auto. AWD 110k

93 Wagon Auto. AWD 221k

94 Wagon 5-spd. AWD 216k

The fuse holder is there so you CAN drive the car with a spare tire or where the front and rear tires are not the same diameter.

I think the thing that is uncertain is how long can you drive with the fuse in. I don't think the owner's manual gives you a limit.....however I probably wouldn't do it for months....simply because the duty c solenoid isn't designed to have a continuous voltage to it....plus you'll probably wear the rear clutch pack prematurely.

91,93,94 Legacys, what did you find wrong with the car after you had it flatbedded home? I don't think the fact you drove around with the fuse in caused the failure. the extra strain on other componants may have led to an already weak componant to fail....but if everything is working good, you can run with the fuse in......it's just how long that is debatable....

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

I think I will go ahead and change the fluid first cause I don't know if it's ever been done. I just got the car a few months ago and can't find any paperwork with it showing tranny fluid change.

Hopefully it's that easy. If driving in 2wd would put more strain on the rear clutch pack I probably shouldn't do it right?

driving in 2wd does not put more strain on the clutch packs. It can just prematurely wear the duty c solenoid. The solenoid is designed for a pulsed input voltage. When you put the fuse in, it gives that solenoid a 12v constant. So if you leave it in for a long time, months or so.....it would probably cause some premature wear....

Been driving with the torque bind for about 100000km without fail. Transmission fluid change helped for about 1000km but came back after. Since the car is worth less than the repair value I will drive it until it dies....but so far so good. The only thing is that if you get cheap tires the binding will will break the tire belts and cause shuttering at high speeds. However, performance tires seems to have solved this problem.

Originally posted by 91,93,94 Legacys

I had the same problem on my 91 AWD Automatic sedan with 110k miles on the tranny, and had the clutch pack replaced for $350. Now she is as good as new. No more binding and power transfer is great. Hope you can find a good cheap subaru mechanic to do it for you.

I'd like to know where you got a new clutch pack replaced for $350. The dealer wants $1400! I told him I'd live with the binding for bit longer (until the damn thing dies!) My bro-in-law said when it does die we'll put in a used one from a 98 with the steel something or other instead of aluminum. BTW I did have Subaru do a tranny service which helped a little. The binding is a little less but the shifting is much better.:burnout: