Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy Outback wont engage in Drive

New to the board but not to these cars so much. The car is a 2000 Legacy Outback with the 2.5 and an automatic trans. For a long time now it has experienced the delayed engagement from park or reverse to drive. (Usually a few seconds) Last night it refused to engage in drive at all. Reverse is fine, but it won't go forward. I did some research on here and can't find a conclusive idea on what I'm looking at to fix the car. Ideas and advice?

What I think you are experiencing is delayed forward engagement. This is an ailment that affects only 1999 & 2000 model Leggies. My 99 developed the same problem about 3 years ago. It is caused by a bad seal in the trany that Subaru used in the cars those two years only.

By lucky chance I found that an automatic transmission additive called Trans-X can fix the problem. The product is available at auto parts stores, and Walmart for sure. Other trany additives won't fix the problem.

I wrote a new post on this years back titled "Fixed, delayed trany forward engagement." Go to the "search" section of this forum, type in what I have listed in quotation marks. The post should be displayed. This has become a post of many many pages of how to use the product, and testimonials that the product works. It is pretty amazing that Trans-X will fix the problem within 10 minutes of operating the transmission, with the product added. It has saved many people the high cost of replacing their trany. Post the results, if Trans-X has helped your trany.

One of my friends had one with really bad delayed engagement. She was pissed one day waiting for it to catch and had it revved way up. Well, after a bit, it caught. The cop that saw her burning rubber out of a parking space didn't find it funny.

Try the trans-X. You've got nothing to loose at this point.

• 5 years later...

I am one of those guys who has a 2000 Outback with an automatic transmission.  I bought the car two years ago and am the second owner.  Love the car, love it's styling, and I am up to date on all of its scheduled maintenance.  A few months ago, I noticed that the transmission oil was getting a little darker and checked its maintenance records to determine whether it was time to replace the transmission fluid and the differential fluids.  I have records going back to when the Outback was purchased new, and yes, it was a bit over 30,000 miles since the last change.  Put all new fluids in the front and rear differentials, and replaced the transmission fluid with the recommended synthetic blend recommended by my dealership.  Immediately, my great little car displayed the cursed Subaru Delayed Forward Engagement problems.  I have been watching the Subaru forums on a different website trying to find out what was going wrong.  Called my dealer, and the Service Manager at first said this is normal for my transmission, but I knew it wasn't, because it didn't start the problem until I replenished the transmission fluid.  I didn't have the work done there, because I live 100 miles from the dealership.  He suggested that I could purchase a new transmission for around $4500, or have mine rebuilt for over two thousand dollars.  That's a lot of money for a car that is worth only $3000.  I am retired, but my wife has a low mileage 2011 Outback and I just couldn't stand the thought of having to junk my pretty little Outback.  Somehow, I came on to this website and found the posting by Rooster2 back in 2008 about the "fix", so I did exactly as he said, using Trans-X Transmission Treatment.  And, just like he said, the problem was absolutely cured.  Why did my problem begin after I replenished the transmission fluid?  Most likely, the original owner of my car had already been adding Trans-X every time that the Outback had its transmission fluid replaced, probably at the same dealer that I use, and where the car had been serviced at since it was new.  I suspect that they are not allowed to recommend Trans-X to customers, but they add it along with the transmission fluid change for those of us with 1999 or 2000 automatic transmission Subarus.  Don't know it for sure, but just a real strong suspicion!

Rooster2, whoever you are, may the Good Lord take a like'n to you for all the thousands of dollars you have saved us who still treasure those pretty old Subaru's!