Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Belt covers 1.8

Anybody have a set of belt covers for 86 1.8. Mine are basically junk. the rear cover on drivers side is the one I need. 80% of mine is melted. That way when I bought it. Makes timing it a little harder to accomplish. I would take all 4 it it would make it easier to sell. Thanks Keith

I believe I have the rear covers on mine, but not the front, Ill check and see, but I have no complaints. Its a non-interference motor so if you break a timing belt, you have to spend $60 and about an hour of your time (more or less depending on experience) to fix it. Cover-less is the best option, unless youre building a completely original show car with these... but why?

Scratch that, when Im done mine will be a show car :grin: but definitely not original! :lol:

Hey Guys, Thanks Looks like a landslide victory NO BELTS wins. Thanks for your input. I have thought of doing that anyway but I am a true shade tree butcher. I kind of wanted to lose that name. Thanks Again Keitj

I will also toss in with the no-cover crowd UNLESS you see a lot of deep snow in the winter, or do a lot of off-roading..... and be careful not to drop a rag into the belts - they WILL break :rolleyes:.

It also concerns me that your covers are melted.... that would indicate overheating which on your engine usually means the head gaskets are suspect. Just an FYI.

GD