Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Brake piston caliper

I was going to replace my brakes today and ran into a problem. I have an 87 GL 4WD. I was able to get the hub and calipers off and swapped out the rotor fairly easy, the problem is getting the caliper piston pushed all the way back in.

I have turned it so it can go no further, but it is still sticking out about a 1/4" and it will go no further back. Needless to say I'm not to pleased but there must be something I'm missing. I tried turning, it just spins and doesn't move back any further. I tried just pushing but that didn't work. I need to get these pushed back further so I can get the brakes back together.

Thank goodness for a 3 day weekend. The car is sitting on jack stands in my parents driveway until I can get it fixed, hopefully tomorrow.

Please help!

keep spinning it - it'll eventually go in. it seems like it's not going anywhere - but it is.

front EA/ER calipers are *turned* in only, they can not be pressed in.

if you did happen to press it in - then you may have broken it as they are on a threaded spindle and can't be pressed in.

*also make sure the indentations on the pads aren't hitting the piston face. the calipers are not "flat" - so if the pad has indentations sticking up - it might be hitting high points on the caliper.