Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought it in Nov '01 with 100,000 miles on it. Now have 146,000. NW Montana, so it sees it's share of snow and nasty cold, and has never faltered (except the two nights it was -27 deg. F, it made some complaining noises when it started in the morning).

Much nicer driving and more 'sophisticated' car than our trusty '87s.

If you don't know the history, and can't confirm that the timing belt has been done; do it right away. Also, if it's an automatic, don't neglect regular transmission service.

We also have a 2000 Outback and for the most part it is a very good car. It now has 100,000 miles and we bought it new. I did the front & rear brake pads around 75,000. I've changed the fuel filter once, put on 4 new tires and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

The only complaint I have is this, it leaks a little oil. We're due to have the timing belt replaced, so maybe they can fix the oil leak then.

Hope this helps !

Paul

We got ours in the spring of 2000. It now has 92,000 kilometers. Aside from a new set of tires and a couple of ECU reprograms it has been extremely reliable. We must return to the dealer in a couple of weeks to have front inner bushings replaced to cure a clunking noise no doubt caused by the bad roads in our area.

However, we will be saying a tearful goodbye to it in June when we move to a 2005 OBW.

Hope this helps.

I've had my 2000 Outback Limited since it was new. Only have slightly under 51k on it. I have replaced the brakes and calipers, had a front bearing go, the heat shield on the catalytic convertor loosened up and had to be fixed. I have the dreaded piston slap which I have taken to the dealer three times only to be told that it is normal. IThe ticking does disappear when warm. Other than that, the car has been great. Rides confortably, quietly and has gotten me through New England winters without a problem.

One thing that has been brought up is that the 2000 model used the prior generation's brake set up. Apparently it is marginal for the size and weight of the car. Subaru went with the bigger system (larger rotor, etc) on 2001+.

Whether it will mean anything to you or not will probably depend more on how your drive and how much stuff you carry around (or tow).

There are prior posts about this that you could probably find by a search.

Commuter