Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

air filter replacement....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

I have a '98 Outback and I'm trying to get the air filter out for inspection....the housing differs from the '96 models...there's only two latches instead of 4.

What's the trick to getting the air filter out?

Thanks...

--Damien

#2 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

After popping the latches pull up on the upper housing. Are you the original owner or when was the last time it was changed? Sometimes the rubber seal will stick to the housing to where it is fairly hard to pull them apart.

#3 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

I'm the new owner.....

#4 AWDfreak

AWDfreak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • SF Bay Area, CA (USA)

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

A '98 Outback, I presume, would have pretty much about the same intake as my '99 Outback. EJ25, right?

The air filter is on the passenger side, right? What you're supposed to do is push the upper-half of the plastic intake towards the center. What you want to do is make the flexible part of the hose smaller, then pull up on it once you get enough clearance to move it up.

Hope that helps.

#5 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

great...figured it out. Oh...BTW...I strongly recommend using a Subaru filter instead of those you'd find at auto parts stores. K&N filters seems 'iffy' to me but may work well....supposedly you'd get a couple of HP out of them...

Thanks!
--Damien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users