Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone installed a grounding kit?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Evanism

Evanism

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Amsterdam, NY

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:14 PM

Hey Folks,

I'm thinking about the grounding kit for my 2004 legacy.

If anyone here has put one in and has any comments about it (better worse..etc) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

#2 myles

myles

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • New York

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Evanism
Hey Folks,

I'm thinking about the grounding kit for my 2004 legacy.

If anyone here has put one in and has any comments about it (better worse..etc) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I think they're snake oil, personally.

#3 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

What are you grounding to what?

#4 Ma-fia

Ma-fia

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Dallas, TX, US

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

On another board, not Subaru, quite a few people reported improved idling (this I care for) and in some cases a tiny bit more hp (I could care less about this) after installation of Hyper Ground System. However, you need to chek what is originally installed on your car, because many upper-end Japanese cars come with this system from the factory.
It is fairly expensive though. I am planning on installing better ground on both my cars eventually, but I'll probably find quality wire and do it myself.

Speaking in general (I don't own a newer Subaru), good ground is pretty important for newer cars' electronics in order to run properly. It definitely can not hurt anything.

#5 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:07 PM

expensive i think not
go to a car stero shop buy about 5 or so foo t of 10 gauge amplifier ground wire

find anice piece of sheeet metal run a line from the battery to it and the extra motor grounds to that point as well
grounds out the body and th engine
may not look as pretty as gold plated crap from a kit
but much more affordable
and it works
not o mention the whole i did it myself aspect

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

I have run a number of extra grounds in my old school soob. I wouldn't say that it made it more responsive or anything like that, but it did help with some odd gauge cluster happenings I was having..

Price: free.

#7 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:15 PM

My Crown Victoria Police Interceptor has ground wires going from just about every body panel to the next one. It's part of the police package, and factory installed. Like from the trunk lid to the body, and from the hood to the body. Plus, from the body to the battery, and from the engine to the battery, and then also from the body to the engine.

Improves your 2-way radio performance, by making a large, solid ground plane for transmitting.

#8 Nuwan

Nuwan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

I did the grounding mod last year on my legacy turbo. I didn't think me idle was at all rough before but it smoothed it out even more so, i also noticed a bit flatter torque curve probably due to better spark.

#9 charlierh2

charlierh2

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:29 PM

even if you are using good wire woudn't using sheet metal vs. gold plated give you a bad ground?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users