Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone installed a grounding kit?

Originally posted by Evanism

Hey Folks,

I'm thinking about the grounding kit for my 2004 legacy.

If anyone here has put one in and has any comments about it (better worse..etc) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I think they're snake oil, personally.

On another board, not Subaru, quite a few people reported improved idling (this I care for) and in some cases a tiny bit more hp (I could care less about this) after installation of Hyper Ground System. However, you need to chek what is originally installed on your car, because many upper-end Japanese cars come with this system from the factory.

It is fairly expensive though. I am planning on installing better ground on both my cars eventually, but I'll probably find quality wire and do it myself.

Speaking in general (I don't own a newer Subaru), good ground is pretty important for newer cars' electronics in order to run properly. It definitely can not hurt anything.

expensive i think not

go to a car stero shop buy about 5 or so foo t of 10 gauge amplifier ground wire

find anice piece of sheeet metal run a line from the battery to it and the extra motor grounds to that point as well

grounds out the body and th engine

may not look as pretty as gold plated crap from a kit

but much more affordable

and it works

not o mention the whole i did it myself aspect

My Crown Victoria Police Interceptor has ground wires going from just about every body panel to the next one. It's part of the police package, and factory installed. Like from the trunk lid to the body, and from the hood to the body. Plus, from the body to the battery, and from the engine to the battery, and then also from the body to the engine.

Improves your 2-way radio performance, by making a large, solid ground plane for transmitting.

I did the grounding mod last year on my legacy turbo. I didn't think me idle was at all rough before but it smoothed it out even more so, i also noticed a bit flatter torque curve probably due to better spark.