Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strut comparison

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lachlan

Lachlan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

I got some KYB front struts, p/n 234028, listed as compatible with the 81 Brat. Below is a pic comparing the subaru strut with the KYB. As you can see, the KYB doesn't extend nearly as much as the OEM. Is anyone runnign these on a Brat, and will this extension difference cause bad juju?

Posted Image

edit: also noticed that the spring perch is wider than stock, so the stock spring won't even fit.

Edited by Lachlan, 09 July 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#2 biffanyus

biffanyus

79 Brat

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

Im no expert but alot parts that they say are compatible with 80 and 81 brats are wrong becuase the body style for subarus changed in 80 except for the brat. The brat didnt take on a new body style til 82. So some parts out there for 80 and 81 brats mighht be wrong... Please ask the experts on this one though...

#3 biffanyus

biffanyus

79 Brat

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Check out this thread... This guy seems to have the same issues you do....

http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=124127

#4 Lachlan

Lachlan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hmmm...well, these are clearly the wrong struts, but is there a way to remove the cartridge from the KYB and replace it in the OEM? Barring that, are other gen 1 Brat folks getting gas cartridges somewhere?

#5 81 brat

81 brat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Reno

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

i was able to get mine to work by removing the old spring perch and welding it to the new strut then you have to cut 1 and a half coils off of the spring because it is way to long this will lower the car about half an inch and you will lose a lot of down travel but it seems to work fine for regular street driving

#6 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Those KYBs are for an EA81 style brat (so gen 2). You will probably have to put in 78 or 79 brat to get the right struts.

#7 Lachlan

Lachlan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Did the gen-2s lose the height adjustment?

#8 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Did the gen-2s lose the height adjustment?

No but only factory struts have the height adjustment i believe. If you go aftermarket you lose it. Either that or those are 2wd later EA81 struts. All i know is they look identical to whats in my 2wd EA81 coupe (1983).

#9 Lachlan

Lachlan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Can anyone with an 81 Brat pull the part number off his struts? Mine are 721032260, and the company I bought these replacements from, after consulting with KYB, has determined that "the struts on your Brat are unlike the other struts that came on 1981 Brats manufactured for and sold in the US market."

#10 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

maybe if enough people on this board contact KYB directly thru their contact info on their website, and if we ask them to make correct adjustable struts, than they would get my business i would buy a set or 2.

right now, KYB does not supply correct front struts. what they have are not adjustable, therefore not a correct fitment.
please write kyb everyone and tell them this, take pics and show them what we need.

hatchsub, those are not gen 2 brat, not even close to working. the top nut thread is not even the right size, the spring perch is wrong, length etc...

Edited by bheinen74, 31 July 2011 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users