Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut comparison

I got some KYB front struts, p/n 234028, listed as compatible with the 81 Brat. Below is a pic comparing the subaru strut with the KYB. As you can see, the KYB doesn't extend nearly as much as the OEM. Is anyone runnign these on a Brat, and will this extension difference cause bad juju?

IMG_20110709_154109.jpg

edit: also noticed that the spring perch is wider than stock, so the stock spring won't even fit.

Edited by Lachlan

Im no expert but alot parts that they say are compatible with 80 and 81 brats are wrong becuase the body style for subarus changed in 80 except for the brat. The brat didnt take on a new body style til 82. So some parts out there for 80 and 81 brats mighht be wrong... Please ask the experts on this one though...

i was able to get mine to work by removing the old spring perch and welding it to the new strut then you have to cut 1 and a half coils off of the spring because it is way to long this will lower the car about half an inch and you will lose a lot of down travel but it seems to work fine for regular street driving

• 2 weeks later...
Did the gen-2s lose the height adjustment?

No but only factory struts have the height adjustment i believe. If you go aftermarket you lose it. Either that or those are 2wd later EA81 struts. All i know is they look identical to whats in my 2wd EA81 coupe (1983).

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone with an 81 Brat pull the part number off his struts? Mine are 721032260, and the company I bought these replacements from, after consulting with KYB, has determined that "the struts on your Brat are unlike the other struts that came on 1981 Brats manufactured for and sold in the US market."

maybe if enough people on this board contact KYB directly thru their contact info on their website, and if we ask them to make correct adjustable struts, than they would get my business i would buy a set or 2.

right now, KYB does not supply correct front struts. what they have are not adjustable, therefore not a correct fitment.

please write kyb everyone and tell them this, take pics and show them what we need.

hatchsub, those are not gen 2 brat, not even close to working. the top nut thread is not even the right size, the spring perch is wrong, length etc...

Edited by bheinen74