Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So now I have a Toyota (my first one too!)

obk25xt

Here it is. After looking for a while for the right deal to come along, I found one and feel it was fair enough.

IMG_0313.jpg

1983 long bed, unmolested, not abused, very straight, I'm the 3rd owner, 201,000 miles, 5 spd, 22r, 100% stock (besides NWOR front springs), runs like a top, been towed for a good portion of its life (allegedly), came with a canopy, and I like it! :)

My plans are....

Clean it real good/repaint some things like the bumpers/grill and stuff. Eventually maybe paint the whole thing the same color, but shiny!

Tri-Y Header/2.25 exhaust (gonna keep this one quiet, I'm tired of the droney roar...)

38 Outlaw weber (maybe, the thing runs so damn good I don't really wanna mess with it!?)

3" lift

Different Wheels

32-34" tires

Different mirrors

Add powa steering

Hi-steer (at some point)

Maybe bob the bed, although the long bed is pretty nice! Just hauled some couches... With the tail gate closed! And I like motorcycles as well so we'll see....

Lemme know what you think! Input and knowledge is welcome and appreciated.

Spencer

Edited by obk25xt
  • Like 1

Very nice. You'll love it. Being a long bed, you can probably bob it and still easily get a motorcycle in the bed with the tailgate down. . .

Here it is. After looking for a while for the right deal to come along, I found one and feel it was fair enough.

1983 long bed, unmolested, not abused, very straight, I'm the 3rd owner, 201,000 miles, 5 spd, 22r, 100% stock (besides NWOR front springs), runs like a top, been towed for a good portion of its life (allegedly), came with a canopy, and I like it! :)

My plans are....

Clean it real good/repaint some things like the bumpers/grill and stuff. Eventually maybe paint the whole thing the same color, but shiny!

Tri-Y Header/2.25 exhaust (gonna keep this one quiet, I'm tired of the droney roar...)

38 Outlaw weber (maybe, the thing runs so damn good I don't really wanna mess with it!?)

3" lift

Different Wheels

32-34" tires

Different mirrors

Add powa steering

Hi-steer (at some point)

Maybe bob the bed, although the long bed is pretty nice! Just hauled some couches... With the tail gate closed! And I like motorcycles as well so we'll see....

Lemme know what you think! Input and knowledge is welcome and appreciated.

Spencer

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Today I installed the chevy 63" springs on the rear, l also re-did the exhaust last night. For the exhaust I used 2" pipe and put a knock-off flow master on... Backwards haha....... It fit better that way.....

Need longer shocks, these are the ones that were already on the truck, they have about 9" travel. I have some 14" travel shocks that I thought I was gonna use but they are too long for what I've got going on. I think when its all sorted out I will end up with some 12" shocks....

Blah blah blah, pics.....

this is the exhaust last night...

IMG_2284_zpse4db3158.jpg

And this is the 63's today.....

IMG_2288_zpsdb702c7e.jpg

IMG_2289_zps431ba493.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsb9e68042.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

Those old Toyotas are such good little trucks my step dad had an 80's that had heavy duty springs under it, you could litterly load that thing so full of wood that it was about to spill out the sides and it wouldn't even squash it at all. Those old 22r motors are tough to they last forever.

droooooolllll.....Gen 1.....

Nice to see ya kept it.No wonder you wanna sell stuff :)

Looks good.

Yeah thats EXACTLY why I'm selling stuff.....

I think this coming up weekend is when the sliders go on....

Hi-steer is on the shelf....

I also have another t-case, a pair of 4.37's and a lock-right....

Plan is to weld the rear, lock the front, do the hi-steer/ruf, and play like fun times.....

Won't be near the animal you're building, but the budget is surprisingly low for what I'll have all said and done....

We will have to go wheeling!!!!!!!

Yeah thats EXACTLY why I'm selling stuff.....

I think this coming up weekend is when the sliders go on....

Hi-steer is on the shelf....

I also have another t-case, a pair of 4.37's and a lock-right....

Plan is to weld the rear, lock the front, do the hi-steer/ruf, and play like fun times.....

Won't be near the animal you're building, but the budget is surprisingly low for what I'll have all said and done....

We will have to go wheeling!!!!!!!

nice.I need some tie rod/drag link love here pretty quick.

Would loveto go wheelin when i get her done.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Two words.  bob it.  :)

Maybe....

I like the look, and the departure angle is nice. But functionality as a truck is important to me too, and I use the bed, sometimes the whole thing... I pull a lil trailer with this truck, and it has a hitch that I am not going to get rid of either, the hitch is up high just a few inches below the frame and the bumper is also built intto it. I am gonna build the truck, wheel it full length and see just how much I won't make it through because my bed is too long, I bet it will pull itself along nicely with the spool/locker combo. If it is really that bad then yeah I will bob it, otherwise the bed stays.... Also, the rear axle moved back a lil when I installed the 63's, which helps the departure angle SLIGHTLY.

Edited by obk25xt

Started the hi-steer install, was intending to get it done today, but that apparently wasn't part of the plan. Ran into a couple unexpecteds but nothing too major. Had a trunion bearing that was T.U. so i pulled a knuckle and replaced just the bearing, I am going to rebuild/reseal the the knuckles completely when I install the gears/locker so the goal today was to just get in and get out as fast as I could.....

Here is the whole knuckle pulled off the housing.

IMG_2340_zpsebd5a17f.jpg

So after I fixed that and got the hi-steer arms all bolted up, I bolted the tie rod up to the arms, it was then I realized I wasn't going to have this thing on the road today, there just isn't enough clearance between the tie rod and the oil pan. So I will install the RUF before She goes down the road again. 

Pick of the clearance issue.

IMG_2341_zps6f4967ce.jpg

Whatever, that doesn't prevent me from mounting the box. I'm told to mount it as far forward as possible, after some trimming, trimming, removal of the from bumper, cleaning of the frame after removing a couple brackets, and some more trimming of the core support and bumper mount. I have enough room to mount the IFS box. I had a cutoff wheel in my hand too, so I decided to go ahead and cut cut cut some sheet metal too..... It's a start, I'm sure there will be a lil more before I'm done, but she's looking better!!!!

IMG_2342_zps4f3219c2.jpg

IMG_2347_zpsad39b643.jpg

IMG_2346_zps5b2e7fb2.jpg

IMG_2348_zps186988d3.jpg

IMG_2351_zps1cf636a3.jpg

IMG_2345_zpse4912dd5.jpg

This is where I ended today. I plan on actually mounting the box tomorrow. I will need to get a flat pitman arm, and another FJ80 TRE before I actually hook up the steering. I also need to mount the ps pump/res, this truck is manual.... And new bumper mounts too.... And the RUF/u-bolt flip, which means shock mounts etc, I have all of that junk here, just the time thing.....

I bought two 10" shocks and two 12" shocks the other day for $25 each BRAND NEW! There is a 4x4 shop closing and selling there junk cheap til its gone. Score......

I'll update more later......

Edited by obk25xt
  • Like 1

Had a chance to do a lil more this eve... It was a lil more involved than I thought to get the box-mount ready to go. I had to remove a small amount of frame material to get the plates closer to parallel... Will be welded and going to reassembly mode on friday is the hope....

IMG_2367_zpse0bb7fff.jpg

IMG_2366_zps54cb506f.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

Did more today.....

Built some RUF packs.....

IMG_2376_zps930a9de2.jpg

Hoisted the truck up to remove/replace the springs that were in there....

IMG_2377_zpsebf45511.jpg

IMG_2380_zps844359ce.jpg

This moved the axle forward ~2" and looks like I gained another 3.75" lift.... Was looking for the axle movement, wasn't looking for the lift. I am gonna take a leaf or 2 out tomorrow and try to bring the front down a couple inches, I liked where it sat before, I on ly wanted it maybe 1-2" highter than it was when I bought it, the goal here is low lift, lots of flex......

IMG_2387_zps979941a8.jpg

IMG_2389_zps5425f191.jpg

Oh yeah, and I need brake lines......

Took the 3 cut leaves out of the RUF packs today and replaced them with a single add-a-leaf, I think it is a NWOR leaf. It was made specifically for toyota rear springs I can tell you that for sure. The center pin hole is offset so it stacks in like it was meant to be there. That brought my additional lift down from 3.75" to 2.25", I like the way it sits now. Looks level, we'll see how it settles after a few miles are put on. Also put in the front shock mounts, F250 uppers. 12" travel shocks. The way its set up gives me 5" uptravel and 7" downtravel give or take.... Welded out the steering box mount too.... Need brake lines, install the PS pump/res/lines/ifs box, need a flat pitman arm and 1 FJ80 TRE.... Then it's drivable.... Wont be trail ready, but will be road worthy... 

Pics......

IMG_2393_zps74534946.jpg

IMG_2397_zpsafd140dd.jpg

IMG_2403_zps26375ec4.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

Got it on the road.... Wow, drives fantastic, totally impressed..... Drove through a ditch, looks like it will flex real well. Still need a flat pitman, it is ordered and should be here by friday. Next to do is remount the front bumper, install the sliders, and build the front driveline.... I have some farm implement PTO stock I'm gonna use for driveline material, should work fantastic....

Pics.....

This is the driveline stock.....

IMG_2487_zps5e4bf282.jpg

IMG_2488_zps1ec0582e.jpg

And the truck with RUF/histeer/12" shocks done.....

IMG_2507_zpse8c10cfb.jpg

IMG_2510_zpse368388f.jpg

Today I installed the flat pitman and built my front driveline. The driveline has just over a foot of slip in it now and is probably the perfect length for duals. Since i am not ready yet for the duals though, I am going to cut a couple inches off the slip sections so it will work for me with just one case, maybe I'll change my mind and just get 4.7 gears and only run a single case... Thoughts???

Anyway, pics.......

Pitman arm worked out perfect.....

IMG_2545_zps71e42935.jpg

Pile of cut up and trimmed/fit driveline parts prepped for weld....

IMG_2549_zps1fa5db16.jpg

Finished product....

IMG_2550_zpsd0bd5093.jpg

IMG_2551_zpsdca08abe.jpg

IMG_2552_zpsd6e512ae.jpg

NO.

FAWKING.

WAY....

I have a 4ft section of that PTO driveline, only mine is designated for a hop harvester. I have been planning to use it for slip if I needed it! (I originally had it to make slips for rear EA81 axles. I even found u-joint flanges that fit it at that point.)lol\

NICE

Looks good. I would gusset those shock towers before you rip your frame yo....

I just re-acquired some RUFS to build mine this week.

Excellent....

cheers

Edited by monstaru

Maybe....

I like the look, and the departure angle is nice. But functionality as a truck is important to me too, and I use the bed, sometimes the whole thing... I pull a lil trailer with this truck, and it has a hitch that I am not going to get rid of either, the hitch is up high just a few inches below the frame and the bumper is also built intto it. I am gonna build the truck, wheel it full length and see just how much I won't make it through because my bed is too long, I bet it will pull itself along nicely with the spool/locker combo. If it is really that bad then yeah I will bob it, otherwise the bed stays.... Also, the rear axle moved back a lil when I installed the 63's, which helps the departure angle SLIGHTLY.

I can still get a half a yard of whatever in the back and do so regularly.  With teh tailgate down and roll bar out, I can put sheets of plywood in it still.  Mine is still my truck, not just my wheeler.  :)

Installed the driveline, re-mounted the front bumper. The mounts that were used before the histeer/RUF were both weak and unimpressive. And they were in the way.... I remedied all of that...... Probly went overkill, but sometimes that's all I know.....

Pics

Driveline, has over 2" of compression and around a foot of extension....

IMG_2643_zps6404b98f.jpg

And the new, improved bumper mounts... I will enlarge the holes in the lower gussets to accept shackles.....

image_zps1b233eee.jpg

image_zpscdd4ace9.jpg

image_zpsc2b7ba8a.jpg

image_zps914b2a56.jpg

image_zps80be453c.jpg

What size tires did you go with? My buddy put 5:13 gears in his yota with dana 44s and 35s. Definatly nice to have the low gears with bigger tires and a 4 banger. Did you get your driveline balanced? Those welds look nice. The high steer looks good too. Mabey put a hoop over your shock mounts too to add a little strength. Keep up the good work!

Edited by espey_16