Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

So now I have a Toyota (my first one too!)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

What size tires did you go with? My buddy put 5:13 gears in his yota with dana 44s and 35s. Definatly nice to have the low gears with bigger tires and a 4 banger. Did you get your driveline balanced? Those welds look nice. The high steer looks good too. Mabey put a hoop over your shock mounts too to add a little strength. Keep up the good work!

These tires are 33's, I am going to run them til they're shot. Probly won't see anything bigger than 35's. I'm goin from the stock 4.10's to 4.37's. I know that's probly still a lil high for 33-35" tires, but it's what I have, they cost me nothing, and in low range I will be juuuuust fine.... Especially after I get the duals handled....

I'm hoping to get the gears installed this coming up saturday. I still need to weld the piss outta the rear diff and put the lock-right in the front diff.... All in all though I am pleased with how fast and how sturdy this build is coming along. Considering I started just exactly a month ago, only worked on the truck on the weekends, also worked 40 hrs/week, am a single parent, and one of the weekends was easter.... I am pleased with the progress for sure.....

As far as hoops over the shock towers, I probly wont do that, but it has been suggested by a couple different people to gusset them, I may do that still. I tied them in to the factory upper bumpstops pretty good, I honestly doubt I will have any issues. I will end up gusseting them anyway I'm sure. 

I didn't balance the driveline, and I am not going to either. I built it as true as anyone possibly could I'm sure.... I guarantee you it is STRAIGHT, and I won't go fast enough for it to need an actual balance. I drove around in 4-hi with the hubs unlocked and it was pretty damn smooth.... Got up to around 30mph with no negative feedback.... I am comfortable with it....

Thanks for the compliments on the welds! By no means do I claim to be a professional, but I did learn to weld when I was 7.... And I've seen people who DO claim to be professionals and their welds look like spoob......

Edited by obk25xt, 09 April 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#27 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Picked up some trail tires!!

36/12.5/15 They are definitely well used... BUT, they were less than $250, and with a good hotknife job should get me PLENTY of offroad miles.... I have a set of 5 15x10 steelies too, I think that will be the trail tires and I'll continue to run 33's on the street.......

BOOM.....

#28 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Nice!

Get some pics of those bad boys on there!!

cheers!

#29 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,123 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Alright you two.  Get the hell off the internet and out in your garages.  Summer is approaching fast.  Since you guys have the super baddass rides now, I get to follow you guys with my plain ol' plain jane toy.  :)

#30 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

^^^^ Every chance I get! ^^^^

This weekend I prepped the 4.37 thirds. Welded the spoob outta one and installed a lock right into the other. Then I installed the welded one into the rear. I will install the front one after work one eve this week... Gotta get done, this saturday is gonna be the maiden voyage for this thing. A few trucks are headed to the woods and I am determined to be there.....

I am actually a lil surprised how effective the small jump from 4.10 to 4.37 is. It improved drivability more than I thought it would. 

I also sold the 15x10 wheels and picked up some 15x6 FJ60 stockers. Those 10" wheels were too damn wide for what I'm trying to do with this truck. When I'm all sorted out the plan is to run 33x10.50's on the 6" wheels and I'll put the trail tires on the 8"ers... Buddy of mine is gonna take them to work and have them blasted/powder coated....

Edited by obk25xt, 15 April 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#31 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

OK.... Installed the front locked diff.... Went wheeling... AWESOME! I've never had a truck that was as capable as this, I'm stoked about it.... Also, FYI, DNR is on the prowl in SWWA.... They handed out 12 tickets to our group on Saturday.... I will NOT be doing ANY off roading locally anymore... Gonna make TSF trips from here on out...  Had a blast anyway..... 

Here's a few pics... They aren't super exciting but it shows some Toys in their natural habitat...

#32 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Put solid "bombproof" engine mounts in this the other day..... ThEeEeEyYyYy ArE vErYyYyYy ViBrAtOrRrRrEeEeEe..... I think they are gonna come out...... Or maybe I will just run one solid and one OEM and see how that goes.....

Lovin this truck though.......

B)

#33 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

AWESOME........

#34 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

Picked up some 35's..... Love these BFG's... They are LONG wearing tires and do awesome on the trail.... 

IMG_3269_zps56fd48c7.jpg

Edited by obk25xt, 24 June 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#35 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Now with sliders too...... ;-)

#36 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Good work man!

I'm getting back to work on mine soon too...

#37 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Bought more stuff….

Another t-case

MC 10* clocked adapter

23 spline 4.7 gears for the rear case

5.29's for the diffs with a lockright and a grizzly 

IFS rear axle

IFS hubs/V6 calipers for the front

Aftermarket front hanger

Triple stick shifter

MC knuckle gussets

30 spline RCV chromoly axles and hub gears

And I think thats it? Maybe more? Sheet I can't remember… Lets just say there's a growing pile of badassness in the garage waiting to go in my truck… And it will still look like a grampamobile to the untrained eye….

That is all, commence…...

F65B0970-FBCF-4FC2-8A7E-18B302F91853_zps

518FDBDB-AB28-469F-8444-471B432AE6EC_zps

1DB00885-7D1E-4342-AAAA-B4AADC3FDB5E_zps

Edited by obk25xt, 24 September 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#38 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,123 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Totally dig it.  You'll like it even better if you bob that rear end.  I know I was much happier when I bobbed my Toy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users